Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPu Down Multiplied

• Please log in to reply

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
I have a AMD Athlon XP2000+ thorough Bred and for the past few days it's been behaving strangely. The FSB is 133Mhz with a 12.5 multiplier which means a speed of 1666Mhz. However a few days ago, the CPU reported on POST that it was running at 866Mhz. I was stunned. I went into all sorts or system spec ID programs and it reported a multiplier of 6.5 instead of 12.5. How is that possible. Because i have a VIA KT600 mobo, ClockGen doesn't work and i can't find anyother way other than getting down and dirty into the CPU and mooding it to connect the two L1 bridges which i don't want to do unless it is the only way. How did the problem start, overheating? Maybe because it was a hot day and i had safe CPU function on, it may have topped 60 degrees celcius but will this turn down the clock speed. it's no virus because i reformatted the HDD and it's still there, hijack this turned up empty. maybe the BIOS but the update i did had lasted over 4 months? so any ideas or a software that can change thorough bred multiplier would be great. :tazz: :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Advertisements

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
wierd, yeah, i intentionally downclocked mine to stop it over heating.

Emm, it sounds like your cmos may have reset. Do you know howto get into the bios?

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
I've been into the BIOS but my mobo doesn't have CPU multiplier. I tried loading optimised defaults but still it didn't work. If i reset the CMOS, do i have to fill in the HDD specs like headers and landing space because that is the one area in hardware I'm not good with. I'm confident in other areas except the HDD stuff. I may reset the CMOS but unless i clear up on the HDD setting up, i don't want to lose the whole thing with a stalled BIOS

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
HDD specs? all that stuffs automatic in bios the most you would have to do was set the boot priorities and thats easy. Reseting the CMOS should clear it up.

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
thanks a lot man, i was reading the manual and i said something about that. So do you know what it is warriorscot? I'll reset it and keep you posted soon when i have time

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
I reset the CMOS and.............................................it's still a bloody dinosaur! It didn't work, the Athlon XP is still at 866MHz. I think i'm out of ideas, any one got anything and i'm all ears :tazz: :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
whats your motherboard?

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
VIA VT600 K7 Triton Series, like i said no CPU multiplier, BIOS update did nothing, CMOS reset did nothing, no software that can change the multiplier cos it's too old :) :tazz: :)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
So how many bios updates have you done and when, if your problem happened after a bios update try an earlies known working bios, the altered multiplier will be a Bios setting somewhere, the CMOS reset should have cleared it, what are your temps like? also are you sure you cleared the CMOS properly.(Clear the cmos by unplugging the computer removing the battery then move the clear cmos jumper from pins 1&2 to 2&3 for 10 minutes .Replace the battery and move the jumper back to pins 1&2)

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
I don't think it's the BIOS cos it was working for around 6 months before this happened. The temps were never higher than 50 before and never higer than 45 now. (degrees celsius). I don't think this mobo has the jumpers, the manual just told me to pull out the battery, wait 30 secs then plug it up, i waited 5 mins