Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

access denied

• Please log in to reply

flynny15

flynny15

• Pip
  • 7 posts
gday all

i just got a new computer with XP on it, however i also got my old computers hard drive installed on this aswell as my new hard drive. the problem is, i can access certian files on my old hard drive, which i need. i keep getting the error: access denied.

i have tried the sharing files options, etc. but some files work but other do not. is there anyway to access them.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi flynny15,

1. How have you setup sharing between these two drives?
2. You say that you can access some files, but not others...?
3. What files can you access?
4. What files can't you access?
5. What's the difference between the locations of each type of file?

flynny15

flynny15

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
what happened was i had a power surge. it stuffed most of my comp, so instead of fixing i asked the computer man if i could just get a new comp and that he could put in the old hard drive in it, so i can have access to the files. he said no worries should work fine.
ok this is how it is set up, not very well by the looks of things. when you go my compuer i have

c drive which is the new hard drive that everything runs of including the new windows xp.

then e drive which is the old hard drive, which is now like a file archive.

ok if i open e drive i can see documenst settings, windows, program files etc.

now in document and setting , i have visitor, all users and one called mark. now whats happened is that everything that could only be accessed with a password on the winows now cant be access or does not work.

so all users works, and so does visitor, however the file mark just comes up access denied.

its allso seems the case anything in the windows file or program files either doesn`t work or cant be opened.

hope this helps

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
  • Log on to the computer with an account that has administrative credentials. If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.
  • If you are using Windows XP Professional, you must disable Simple File Sharing.
  • Right-click the folder/file that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
  • Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
  • Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
  • In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
  • Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message: You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folderName. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control? All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.
  • Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.