Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Psu Toasted

• Please log in to reply

stamos

stamos

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My Power supply just got toasted from a power outage in my house. (one of my housemates plugged in one to many things) I've already grabbed a better power bar with some surge protection cause my old one was garbage.
Now I need to get myself a new power supply and I really don't know anything when it comes to psu's. I recently built my new comp and just went with the crappy supply that came with the case, I knew it wasn't the best but i'm on a student budget so I didn't think too much of it.
Anyways the comp i have right now is:

--Athalon 64 3700 SD core
--Corsair Value Select 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory
--MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nVidia Socket 939 Motherboard / Audio / PCI Express / USB 2.0 & Firewire / Serial ATA (M452-2808)
--Radeon X800 XL / 256MB GDDR3 / PCI Express / DVI / VGA / TV-Out / Video Card (C261-3028 R)
--Cd drive and a cd rw drive
If it's important there are lights on both of my case fans,

I think that's pretty much everything my comp would be drawing power from. I've done some reading around the internet but i'm still unsure about what kind of psu i should be getting. Some people have said that anything around 400-450 is fine, some have even said overkill for most systems, but others say that you might as well get a 600 or something crazy like that cause there's no harm in a little overhead.

I don't think my comp is particularly powerful so I can't imagine needing something to crazy but i don't want to undershoot it since i'm not positive. I'm looking for a solution that is relatively cost effective, around 100-130CDN.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Advertisements

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
I have no idea how much they are where you are but I suggest 450 to 500w and try to get a dual fan.

Might be beyond your budget but I saw one PSU that all the cords are inside it and you just pull out the one you want and plug it in, Keeps the inside of your case clear from clutter and will help keep the heat down also.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G stamos

With your system specs, you really do need a 400 - 450W PSU or higher. Also, I would recommend that you buy the best one you can afford because cheaper power supplies have less in-built protection & are more likely to damage the motherboard if they blow.
Whichever one you decide to go for, check to see if it has Over current, over voltage, overload & thermal protection.

Also I think I'm right in saying that your motherboard has a 24pin ATX connector, as opposed to a 20pin, so try & get a PSU with a 24 pin ATX plug. If you get a 20 pin one, you wil have to buy a convertor as well.