Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wait Or Splash Out?

• Please log in to reply

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
I'm building a new performance system but with a resonable budget.
the specs are:
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 4400+X2
XFX 7800GTX 256Mb
250Gb Seagate HDD
LiteOn SOHW DVD Writer
Zalman CNPS9500 CPU HSF
1024Mb Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM in 512Mb sticks

as you can see, it's designed to last a few years but with Vista coming, will it meet the specs. Also, AMD is bringing out the M2 socket with DDR2 support. Should i wait because i don't want to have to upgrade again to a new socket, ram, mobo. Is it worth the wait? I have a socket A mobo and i'm feeling the pain as there is now no new CPUs in stock. So i don't want it to happen again. someone give me tips

Advertisements

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
I feel your pain brotha!

You have to jump on the bandwagon at some point, i personally would hold off just a little longer, till skt 939 becomes yesterdays best, youll probobly save a buck or 2.

howlleo

howlleo

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
you dont really want to buy any processors while they're new anyway, if you've got a budget.
Unless you intend to just upgrade your processor in the future, and not the entire system, there isn't much point in waiting for a new socket type to come out.
Besides, teh socket type, mobo, and everything, will be super expensive when its new.

As if 939 isn't relatively new, anyway.

Samjula

Samjula

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
How much is that system going to be costing you?

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Over in NZ it's around 2800 NZD so 1960 USD, i haven't included monitor so it is an expensive machine but i haven't upgraded in over 3 years and i want it to last. hopefully it will give me head room with SLI and if i wait M2. Over here it's a bit expensive to begin with but the prices do drop down, i just read an article that AMD will only support Skt 939 until the end of 2007. Sempron 939 will last until 2009 before they take it out of production too so i think it maybe worth while, also with nVidia's new 8000 series coming, by the time M2 has settled, the 8000s should be at a good price. I mean, my trusty XP still handles the games ok, it's only in virus scanning, video encoding and multithread programs that the hourglass makes its return

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Its really a preferance to me. If you want to have a good system now, then go for it! If you aren't impatient or in a hurry, just wait for the new socket to come out and stuff. I just got mine, but I don't plan to upgrade.

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
I know if i wait, i get the better deal but right now it's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO tempting. Especially with my other friend, both of them have better systems than me. One has 3.6Ghz P4 660, 6600GT, other one has the X1800XT and a P4 3.2GHz, [bleep] them!!!!!!!!! they take the miki out of me so much i can't wait to blow their mouths out with the 4400+ X2 but i know if i do, i'll be left behind with DDR and not DDR2 :tazz: :)

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Thats what i hate, i can't get DDR2 RAM for SCKT 939. Thats y its cheaper.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
DDR2 isnt actually superior to DDR in terms of game performance its not much increase in anything else either, DDR2 isnt a big deal, they will be releasing XDR soon there is alot of new memory technologies in the way and most of them are alot better than DDR2, so i wouldnt bother my shirt about ddr2 as its only real advantage is its slightly cheaper.

There wont be much difference going to M2 as AMD arent releasing many new chips in the next year so they will be identical near enough to the 939s so it may be worthwhile to capitilise on the price drop in 939 chips.

Well whatever you do your buggered, such is the march of technology the next two years are going to see alot of new technology from all the companies, and direct x 10 is coming so it should be good.

Im quite looking fordward to the new DX10 cards, ATI i think will hold its crown as the fastest card maker for a third year/generation, they have a much closer relationship with MS and have a head start on the DX10 architechture changes over Nvidia.

M2 socket wont last any longer than 939 so you are looking at another socket type on 2007 probably, i also wouldnt go asus for motherboards they are on my [bleep] list at the moment for those mobos we had a spate of christmas builds with them and we saw alot of problems with them on here.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Grr Asus rocks!

But yah, Warriorscot is right. (Except for the Asus comment. :tazz:)

Advertisements

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Abit are the daddies....Asus are the kinda motherboards that goto the places where motherboards hit on other motherboards instead of Cpu's

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Well the ASUS was recommended by a well respected PC magazine. I like them, they are ok. So what would you recommend, i was gonna get GA-K8NXP-9 from gigabyte cos they make good ones but are any from abit good? And warrior scot, are you saying i should get the PC now and cane my friends or hold off until DX10 comes out. Also about the thing with nVidia and ATI, i know ATI is faster but over in NZ, they cost at least 150 dollars more, not sure about quids but that's 105USD, a [bleep] of a lot for a few frame rates. So what do you think?

Or, just for the sake of wasting money, splash out for a Fatal1ty, no that would be good,lol

Edited by Hammm, 05 February 2006 - 10:07 PM.

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
I went and saw a few and the Microstar K8N Neo4 Platinum doesn't look too bad, only gripe is no SLI. I know, warriorscot, you like ATI and i like nVidia, don't kill me for it, both have their cons and pros, i just favour nVidia at the moment, who knows, maybe i'll defect to ATI in future but how's the mobo i chose

The Microstar is my fav but also on the line up is
1st.LANPARTY UT NF4 ULTRA-D from DFI(excellent in quality and everything, if it's worth it, tell me and i'll get it, it's just a bit more expensive and if worth it i'll get it)
2nd. GA-K8NXP-9(the best of almost everything except SLI, not too bad but pricey)
3rd.A8N-SLI from Abit(no sata2)
4th.LANPARTY UT NF4 SLI-D(bit out of my range in price)

So if the will offer more than the K8N then please tell me and i'll buy it

I think i may get the DFI, looks cooler and only 30 NZD more, or 21US
what i didn't notice was that there were two PCI-e x16 but no SLI, interesting, quadmonitor setup?, it's still good cos i can se it as a x1

Edited by Hammm, 05 February 2006 - 10:31 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I went and saw a few and the Microstar K8N Neo4 Platinum doesn't look too bad, only gripe is no SLI. I know, warriorscot, you like ATI and i like nVidia, don't kill me for it, both have their cons and pros, i just favour nVidia at the moment, who knows, maybe i'll defect to ATI in future but how's the mobo i chose

The Microstar is my fav but also on the line up is
1st.LANPARTY UT NF4 ULTRA-D from DFI(excellent in quality and everything, if it's worth it, tell me and i'll get it, it's just a bit more expensive and if worth it i'll get it)
2nd. GA-K8NXP-9(the best of almost everything except SLI, not too bad but pricey)
3rd.A8N-SLI from Abit(no sata2)
4th.LANPARTY UT NF4 SLI-D(bit out of my range in price)

So if the will offer more than the K8N then please tell me and i'll buy it

I think i may get the DFI, looks cooler and only 30 NZD more, or 21US
what i didn't notice was that there were two PCI-e x16 but no SLI, interesting, quadmonitor setup?, it's still good cos i can se it as a x1

Microstar is a cheaper board if you were on a budget. They are just cheaper made also..

You said you will build it yourself, the Dfi's arent for beginners but an advanced person that knows computers pretty well will have no problems with it. They are mainly for overclocking and stable performance in games etc.. Sometimes the bios can be alittle hard for beginners to set up quickly. Its easy and they are the best board made in my opinion. Just look at the reviews on the Dfi Lanparty boards. They have so many of the lanparty boards and some are better than others. The Dfi Lanparty series boards Rock.

They are the best... Many will back me up. I have a dfi Lanparty also.

I would go for the DFI. :tazz:

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
when you mean hard, what do you mean, warriorscot told me the mobo automaticly does most of the setup, what else can you give me a link to a BIOS walk through?