Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

whats going on?

• Please log in to reply

skitzogabba

skitzogabba

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok i just downloaded PcMark04
i benchmarked my computer but im getting so low scores
first my specs.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8ghz Venice core
msi k8n neo 2 mobo
kingston 512mb pc3200
Sapphire radeon 9600XT 256mb
seagate 120gb HDD
Ok
my cpu score was around 3200-3300
wich seems rly low because i did a benchmark on my stepdads pc
and he had about the same number his was around 3260 and his cpu
is a amd athlon xp 2400 why does my amd 64 3000+ score almost the same
as the xp 2400?
also his total benchmark was 3135
his specs.
amd athlon 2400 xp 2ghz
512mb pc2700
geforce ti 4400 128mb
40gb hdd
my total was 3170
how can this be is their something wrong?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you install the chipset drivers? Is the fsb set correctly?

I am not 100 percent certain this is too out of the norm...much of the non-cpu score is based on video and the ti4400 was an awesome card as far as speed...the ati has better quality and good speed but on a straight benchmark, the ti4400 just might be putting him in the same range

The same is partially true when comparing cpus...CPUs don't bench real world performance perfectly. The Athlon 64 has a frequncy of 2ghtz, the athlonxp 2000 has frequency of 1.667 ghtz--that's about a 15 percent difference in a benchmark depending on how the benchmark measures performance, as opposed to the 45 percent jump you expect

The benchmark will not take into account the wider datapath (64v32) because it was not written to account for it

skitzogabba

skitzogabba

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
my fsb is 200 my ratio is 9x and my HT frequency is 5x
is this all correct ?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
schwehhh, am I glad you just didn't do the math based on my prior post....I screwed up, the Athlon frequency is 1800, not 2000mgthz as I typed

So, yes, that is correct...200fsb X 9 multiplier = 1800mgthz

I knew I had typed something wrong, but I was on my way out the door to church...

So, in correction

"The same is partially true when comparing cpus...CPUs don't bench real world performance perfectly. The Athlon 64 has a frequncy of 1.8ghtz, the athlonxp 2000 has frequency of 1.667 ghtz--that's about a 11 percent difference in a benchmark depending on how the benchmark measures performance, as opposed to the 45 percent jump you expect

Thus, your 11 percent boost is exactly what you should expect in a cpu benchmark

Sorry about the confusion

skitzogabba

skitzogabba

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yeah but its an 2400 not 2000 heh
so amd 64 3000
and a athlon xp2400
score was 3230
and my cpu score is (amd 64)
seem right?