Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting laptop to main computer network

• Please log in to reply

Kosta Kondratenko

Kosta Kondratenko

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'm working for my employer and I need to connect a laptop of his to the internet.
However, I do not know my employer's username and password for the internet, so I can't just change the wires around.

My question is, what's the best (and cheapest) way, that I can connect the laptop to the main computer and share an internet connection, without the laptop needing to login with a password and all that stuff.

The main computer is connected to a broadband modem through USB and Ethernet (I believe it's Ehternet, it'sthe one that lights up when you plug in to the computer). Is it possble to link up the laptop with the main computer through some kind of USB connection or something? And then how do you go about creating a network and what do you have to download? I believe

This network is also required so I can send some main files from the main computer to the laptop. Is it required that I have a router, because those things cost money.

The main reason I need to do this is to fix up the laptop. Basically the main issue with the laptop is getting all the Windows Updates to date (that sounds weird). Anyway, what else.

And the last thing, my laptop's sound is kind of fukt, it works but it sounds weird. I know it can't be the speakers or any hardware because the laptop is supposed to be worth like $2500 or something, so does anyone have any suggestions for fixing up the laptop's sound.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G Kosta

Before we go any further, can you clarify something for me please?

You said that you cannot connect the laptop directly to the internet because you don't know your boss's username & password, right?
Does this mean that he is unaware of what you are attempting to do? If he HAS given you permission, then why won't he simply tell you his user name & password?