Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot-up problem

• Please log in to reply

Guust

Guust

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hey people,

I have a problem with my windows 2000 setup, which i am currently running next to a windows xp. The problem is as follows;
I turn on the pc; then choose 2000 from the two options that i have, (XP or 2000) then it starts win 2k, but after a little while it just shuts itself down, restarts, and i come back at the point where i can choose the OS to start.
The problem started occurring after i booted the xp partition today once into safe mode using the "run" feature and "msconfig", I did this to resolve a spyware problem, which required running Ewido in safe mode.
Maybe i cluttered up something there or what?

cheers for the help, I need it.

Guust

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Guust...

What exactly did you do using msconfig? Are both operating systems failing to start? Which operating system is the default system for the machine?

wannabe1

Guust

Guust

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
hey man,

I used msconfig to enable a safe mode system boot of my XP operating system...like i said there was some spyware on it I needed to clean and that's why i had to do a scan with Ewido in safe mode (another guide I found here, which was very helpful) only leaving me stuck with the new problem i told u about...XP boots fine now in normal mode( I reset it back to normal boot up after the scan was done) but the Win 2K starts up, i can see the icons appear on the desktop, and then, it justs hangs there and shuts down suddenly. I don't know what that's all about but that's why I'm here. I'm pretty sure it's not another spyware infection or the like, (because of all the scans I've been doing) but then again, I don't what it can be. lol, windows just makes me sick. Next pc I'm buying will have linux on it.

If you(or anybody) have any ideas, plz tell me about it, else I'll just move all the stuff I keep under Win2k to the XP partition, do a new clean install of win2k and be rid of it...but maybe there's a quicker way, and I'm itching to find out :tazz: