Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can a server host a subdomain?

• Please log in to reply

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
My question is: can a server host a subdomain? for example, i have a server at home, but no domain. so, i sign up for free webhosting on a website where i get a subdomain, for example tankz.6te.net. theoretically (if i can make an arrangement with the admin of 6te.net) is there a way to host that subdomain on my own personal server, so that i would have my own bandwith/HD space/database managers?

Advertisements

KiLleR Civilian

KiLleR Civilian

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
just an addition to that. How does subdomaining and server domaining etc actually work?

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
i wouldn't think that this is possible at this point, since i know add-on domains, subdomain.domain.com, actually point to a folder, so subdomain.domain.com is actually a directory domain.com/subdomain. but, i may be wrong. i hope some1 good at servers can answer this one

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
I'm hoping I'm understanding your question correctly. Just to verify I want ot reword it as I'm reading it.

You want to use your home server as a sub-domain on web host providers server, is that correct?

if it is, then I would recommend reading this tutorial on running your own server.
http://www.diywebserver.com/

Hope this helps.