Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

file corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM PLEA

• Please log in to reply

trunxzzz

trunxzzz

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
hi,
my computer was working fine last night and when i turned it on today it says:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
you can attemp to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

i tried pressing r and stuff but it only brings me back to this screen after awhile. i dont have the original setup cdrom because my friend built my computer for me and it came with the windows. i've read that i have to format the computer but i really dont want to do this. all of my term papers, homework, and family photos are on here. can anybody please please help me! i'm desperate. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
I'm not much of a computer person so i'm gonna have to apologize for that first. :tazz:

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Get the XP cd.. he was obligated to provide you with the XP cd or a Recovery/Restore cd (or some means in which to create one) !!

Murray

trunxzzz

trunxzzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
i just asked him but he said he doesnt have it. should i go online and buy a copy ? or is there something i can do instead? i'm sort of desperate because my term paper is due on tuesday and its on my computer =(

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you try tapping the f8 key and choosing last known good configuration?

trunxzzz

trunxzzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
i just tried. i tried the last good configuration and safe mode. neither of them works. it still tells me to put the setup cd in. :tazz:

trunxzzz

trunxzzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
oh oh i finally got a copy of the windows xp pro cd but heres my new problem. when i click "r" when i put in the cd i get another error and it says the following: Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your commputer. make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your compputer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program. Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3.
=( does this mean that all of my papers/hw/and family photos must be deleted and lost forever? the most important things are my photos and my 30 paged paper on glaucoma.
please please please help!!! PLEASE!

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
I am just posting here to calm you down a little.

All you have lost is the windows portion of your harddrive the rest of your files should be perfectlly safe and recoverable.

I usually fix these things by trial and error but since your data is so valuable too you I am not comfortable giving advice and suggest you wait for a staff member to answer this post.

trunxzzz

trunxzzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
wow thanks a lot. you really did calm me down. its just i've been working on my paper for a very very long time. and i regret so much not saving it onto anything. i guess you can call it my thesis to graduate =). i'm glad to hear that my files should be ok. i'm greatful for your help ^__^ thanks again. i just hope i can resolve this problem soon.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay.. are you using the XP cd to boot with??

Did you get the "press any key to boot from cd" option??

Do you have access to another system running XP??

Murray

trunxzzz

trunxzzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I am using the xp cd to boot. actually it didnt work when i only put the cd in. my brother did something to the computer so that the computer will boot from the cd rom or something. and then i was offered to either setup with windows or press r to repair or exit. and i am currently using my brother's computer that has windows xp as well.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
press r to enter recovery console

when you get to a prompt, type

chkdsk /r
<enter>

trunxzzz

trunxzzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
when the cd boots up and stuff and asks me to press r or enter to setup windows i get this error. Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your commputer. make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your compputer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program. Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3.
it doesnt give me an opportunity to get to any prompt to type anything else in.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Do you know the make and model of your harddrive??

Murray

trunxzzz

trunxzzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
i believe it is a maxtor 6y200M0

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Go to the Maxtor website and download and install the Maxblast software on a floppy..

Boot using that floppy and run the diagnostics program to see if there is anything wrong with your hdd!!

Murray