Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer running slowly

• Please log in to reply

mrclean575

mrclean575

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Have run Ewido, housecall, CWshredder, Spybot S&D, Kepersky, and countless others. No malware, spyware or viruses were found. Norton system doctor says my disk fragmentation is @ 85%. Ran windows fragmenter and Norton speed disk. No improvement in performance. PC extremely sluggish, programs open very slowly if at all. Every so often, for no obvious reason my cursor will show the spinning hourglass as if something is about to happen and then returns to normal. Not sure if this matters, but if I open Windows Task Manager and click on performance tab CPU usage is @ 100%.

Advertisements

lee1954

lee1954

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Don't have an answer for you, but your problem somewhat mirrors my own. For background, see my posting from earlier this morning. What type of internet connection are you using? If it is DSL, check your network connections and Task Manager - Hardware and see if you have anything using what is called a "wan miniport". In my case, the activity (no mine) on that port is draining all of the resources of my pc when I am online.

mrclean575

mrclean575

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Using a wireless broadband. Up until about a week ago I was using dial-up. Problems began about that time and have gotten worse daily. Have another pc in home. Sharing internet access through a Linksys WRT54GS Broadband router. Computer with problems is connected directly to router through network cable. Other pc is connected wireless and functioning properly.

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Hi mrclean575

How much RAM you running on? For starters you could try unchecking your startup items, everything except the essential windows processes and your antivirus, firewall.
Was the Defrag completed? You need about 15% free space to see any improvement through a defrag. If ur low on HDD space, run a disk cleanup and also chkdsk before the defrag.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

achilles becqx

achilles becqx

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
u can have many unneccessary programs installed, uninstall if any found such from add or remove programs

delete the prefetch folder in path c:\windows

increase virtual memory from system performance settings and r u having any external graphics card??

restart in safe mode and let me know if u r facing the same error??

get back to me if u need any detailed help,,,best of luck!!!

mrclean575

mrclean575

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Here's what I've found so far. Windows messenger keeps running. I close it through Task Manager or WinPatrol and it starts right back up. Through Kerio Firewall I've denied outgoing access to messenger and Generic host process for Win32 services, both are trying very persistently to access the internet. I do have my Event Viewer open and am watching, but since I've denied access to them I haven't been locking up.
Leads me to believe that there is malware in my system, but nothing is finding it.