Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Someone must know the answer! BT Broadband disconnections.

• Please log in to reply

Rockst@r

Rockst@r

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all,

My first visit to this forum I just wanted to try and clear one very common issue up that no one seems to know the answer to.

First off I am aware most broadband connections do not require you to dissconect them but with BT Broadband you do, and yes I am aware this is a bad design.

My connection is a 2.2MB by BT Broadband, the default modem supplied was the "BT Voyager 100" the OS is Windows XP Pro SP2.

The problem I am having is upon disconnection of the modem, when you right click the internet icon in the system tray (the 2 flashing computers...) and click disconnect it doesnt and it will stay seemingly connected alough you cannot veiw web pages or access anything on the net, this in turn crashes the connections tray so when you go to turn the computer off it gives you the whole ending task routine ("connections tray" being the task") then windows will continue to save your settings and then freeze, leaving you having to do a manuel shutdown.

Most people say this happens after a long duration of being connected and most of the time yes this is true, you will also find after a format and reinstall of windows (and maybe even just the modem drivers on their own) it works fine for a bit but then it starts to fail again.

Also I am using Norton Firewall, and I am running the latest drivers for my modem from the bt website (problem still occurs using the ones that came with it on the disk).

There are many others with the same problem and no one seems to know what the issue is.

HELP!!!,

Thankyou in advance for any replies to this issue. :tazz:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Very long standing Windows problem which is often caused by incorrect drivers or just Windows not behaving itself. It was doing this under Windows 95 and still does it under XP.

Used to happen to me on the USB modem before I got the router and before that on dial-up. I just put up with it as its a very common issue.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Best way to fix problems like that is to chuck the BT routers they are all completley useless i had a miriad of problems with my 205 voyager router including that problem on occasion, i fixed all the problems by replacing the router with a good belkin one(wanted wireless so had to get a newone anyway) fixed all the problems internet was faster and completley stable been on nearly non stop for months now.

BT is a good ISP just dont use the routers they give you they are rubbish(mind you what do you expet they are free) get a good belkin or US robotics thats the easiest wy to get it going you can get them for as little as £25 for a basic non wireless ones and wireless one run at over £50, it was definatley worth the invstment on my part, and it means you dont have to use that annoying BT software anymore.

Rockst@r

Rockst@r

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks buddy I spose your right,

I will invest in a decent ethernet modem, I have too many USB devices on the hub anyway :tazz:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
had the same problem, almost throgh my computer at the wall several times when games got to the max and then it diconnected. However a simple fix for me was to get a 50$ d-link router. Now its all good:P
James

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
On the disconnect during games there is a method to fix that using the command window its quite a long process one of the tech guys showed me how to do it on the live chat thing once, it is easier to get a router and ethernet is always a better idea.

Ild also chuck the norton firewall as well and try and get something better as an off topic point norton suck big time on there anti malware software.

Rockst@r

Rockst@r

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ive never been disconnected during game, its only after attempting to disconnect from the net.

What would you reccomend as a firewall?

I find Symantecs products rather hungry on system resources.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Thats cause they are very hungry, zone alarm is a good firewall for general use, AV wise Avast whips Norton and Mcaffee and its free as well and offers similar features to Norton.