Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Ethernet port question

• Please log in to reply

Darrenkook

Darrenkook

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have optimum online and they just increased the speed to 15 mbps. The highest I can get is 9. They are telling me the following:

Your modem appears to be connected to your computer via a 10 baseT Ethernet port. A 100 baseT Ethernet connection is required to ensure maximum connection speeds. Please replace your Ethernet port if you want to achieve download speeds approaching the full 15Mbps offered by Optimum Online. Please consult your computer manufacturer's manual or Web site for additional information.

I searched and only find switch boxes and I don't understand the descriptions or what I might need. Obviously I am not familiar with ethernet ports at all. I just assumed it was like adding some hardware to my computer like adding memory or changing boards etc..Sorry if this is a stupid question...but I'm lost..If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated...Thank you!!

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
There are three types of ethernet boards, 10, 100 and 1000 (gigeth, which I would not worry about for a home system). It seems, based on your message, that you have a 10mps ethernet. It might be on the motherboard or be a separate board. If you are not directly connecting and using a switch, then the limit might be on that.

You need to buy a new board or if it is for a laptop, a pcmcia card. Examples:

http://www.newegg.co...et card&Ntk=all
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16815158026

Darrenkook

Darrenkook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks so much for the help!!