Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

After many uses Suddenly rejected by Trend Housecall

• Please log in to reply

katyandboris

katyandboris

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Just wondering if there is any reason why Trend Housecall would suddenly disallow my computer from running the free scan, when I have used it regularly for months. Now I get a message saying that housecall doesn't support "multibyte character sets".

I searched in the forum and someone had suggested that this message might come from using Asian languages in windows. SO in Control Panel > Regional and Language Options I made sure no asian languages were checked. Then in Control panel > Regional Language Options > langages > details > advanced I made sure all txt services aside from US English were not checked. Still I am unable to use Housecall.

Any idea what could be going on?

Other info:
OS - XP pro
Also FYI:
McAfee recently spotted a trojan and could not Quar. or delete. I manually shredded some files and no scan detects any malware on the system (McAffee, Spybot,Adaware, MSAntispyware, Panda ActiveScn Pro, trojanscan) so I'm guessing there's no infection.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Trend Micro has the option to use the Java plug in or the browser plug in, have you tried with both

http://uk.trendmicro...housecall/v6.5/

http://www.trendmicr...tro/default.asp

katyandboris

katyandboris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes I have tried both. At first I couldn't even get there but I saw in another post that someone got past the "no multibyte..." screen by running spybot and removing the "windows notification" things I usually just left there. ( hope that makes sense)

Now neither the active-x nor the java kernel will work. I get to the intro / updating page and everything just stops working. Sometimes using actiive-x the window will close by itself.

I uninstalled my last java update and re-installed it. No effect.

thanks for responding.

katyandboris

katyandboris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Incase it matters: My java console says this:

2006-02-05 SEVERE [java:hc.Config] Failed to verify domain "http://housecall65.t...plet/html/java", HouseCall Server rejected!

Edited by katyandboris, 06 February 2006 - 02:13 PM.