Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! toshiba protege 3020ct not running

• Please log in to reply

Protege

Protege

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I was running windows 2000 on it, and tried to reformat.

I went on MS DOS and typed in format C:

Now, the CD drive that i have no longer gets read now. I think that must have delted the drivers for it... so i'm stuck in MS DOS with no exit :tazz:.

The CD flap won't open. I do however have a 3.5 floppy drive, if that helps?

Edited by Protege, 05 February 2006 - 05:08 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
The flap opening should be hardware based...meaning press the button, hold it for a second. Release, it should pop

What is your goal here now that you wiped out the drive?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Now that you have a completely blank hard drive you no longer have any drivers for the hardware. If you formatted the drive as ntfs i would download the microsoft program to make a set of XP boot floppies. This should give you access to the cdrom drive so you can reload a operating system to the HD. You can also use a windows 98 boot floppy but it will make you fdisk and format the HD as fat32. If you install windows XP you can convert the drive back to ntfs when installing the OS. you will probably have to find drivers for the laptops hardware to install.

A side note on making XP boot floppies is to make sure they all work. When i made my first set of 6 floppies the number 3 floppy failed so it would not finish loading. I had to make a second set of floppies that finally worked.

SRX660

Protege

Protege

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Now that you have a completely blank hard drive you no longer have any drivers for the hardware. If you formatted the drive as ntfs i would download the microsoft program to make a set of XP boot floppies. This should give you access to the cdrom drive so you can reload a operating system to the HD. You can also use a windows 98 boot floppy but it will make you fdisk and format the HD as fat32. If you install windows XP you can convert the drive back to ntfs when installing the OS. you will probably have to find drivers for the laptops hardware to install.

A side note on making XP boot floppies is to make sure they all work. When i made my first set of 6 floppies the number 3 floppy failed so it would not finish loading. I had to make a second set of floppies that finally worked.

SRX660

Lol. I did this whole process, lol til it said that i needed 64MB of ram. lmao maybe i should have mentioned i only had 32 MB of ram. PII. lol lame laptop. Sorry :)

I did open the CD drive using a pin in the hole, but it wouldn't read the CD inside. It says drivers not found : aborted. and it says BANANA in MS DOS for some reason :tazz: .

Any help lol

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.microsoft...on/sysreqs.mspx

for both home and pro versions of xp the suggested minimum ram is 128mb the absolute minimum ram required is 64 mb...and on 64mb....you might as well just use the machine as a doorstop cuz it's not gonna work well....you say you've only got 32 mb of ram on the laptop? if youve only got 32mb...then...that's a very good reason why you can't install xp on the machine

Protege

Protege

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

for both home and pro versions of xp the suggested minimum ram is 128mb the absolute minimum ram required is 64 mb...and on 64mb....you might as well just use the machine as a doorstop cuz it's not gonna work well....you say you've only got 32 mb of ram on the laptop? if youve only got 32mb...then...that's a very good reason why you can't install xp on the machine

I don't want to install XP. I was hoping it would get my CD drive working again if i did?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what os are you wanting to install now that you formatted the drive?