Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTLDR Missing...

• Please log in to reply

Ranzenbach

Ranzenbach

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I recently had a hard disk error telling me that the config.sys file was corrupt and windows XP Tablet Edition could not boot (on my TC1000). I first attempted to follow the instructions for my crash recovery disks and boot from a USB drive, but the drivers would not load and my CD ROM drive could not be detected. This is a separate issue being looked into by HP. They tried to convince that the machine had a bad USB and needed to go in for hardware service. I took the system to an HP authorized dealer who could find nothing wrong with the USB port.

Next, I removed the hard drive and installed it into a HP desktop. I then used the crash recovery disks to re-image the hard drive. I can look at this drive on the desktop system and everything seems to be in order. I re-installed the hard disk into the tablet PC and attempt to boot but the system now tells me that the NT loader (NTLDR) is missing. Obviously Windows XP never even attempts to boot.

Help!

Advertisements

achilles becqx

achilles becqx

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hi,
sorry to hear the situation,
ntldr error comes up when u have the drivers for the operating system missing,
if u have the recovery cds from hp, load them and run recovery, but before that if u want to take any backup, attatch it to ur desktop and copy the files in ur desktop hard drive.
run a full system recovery on ur computer and then get the back data restored on the hard drive and start using ur computer and if any issues just get back to me :tazz:

Ranzenbach

Ranzenbach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The real issue here seems to be that attempting to boot from the USB CDROM fails. This is why I had to attempt to re-create the harddisk by installing it into a desktop machine. This obviously failed with the NTLDR Missing message. I have researched this a little further. It seems that while attempting to boot from the CDROM, BIOS (at least on this machine) creates a RAMDISK and loads it with some basic utilities to assist in the booting process. One of these is MSCDEX, which attempts to load using a driver called "usbcdrom". The actual statement in the autoexec.bat is:

lh MSCDEX.EXE /D:usbcdrom /L:%Q% (where Q is the drive letter assigned to the CDROM)

The problem is usbcdrom is nowhere to be found. Thus the CDROM cannot be accessed and the attempt to boot from the CDROM fails.

Anybody got a clue where I can get this driver? I'm searching the HP and windows sites. Thanks.

achilles becqx

achilles becqx

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
visit hp.com/support for further info and type in ur computer product or model number and chk
u can also call tech support @ +1-800-474-6836 for further info
take care and best of luck :tazz: