Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP-Media Center-Explorer won't work-VIRUS?

• Please log in to reply

robbc123

robbc123

• Pip
  • 4 posts
:tazz: Hi there,

I am hoping that someone can help me out. I have had an HP Media Center system for just over a year. This morning I was online without any problems. My son got on and try to install some stupid game from a CD and after that, I am having some serious issues. Here is what happens: First, I notice that some of my Word files on my desktop now start with ~$ and these files look transparent...When I try to start Explorer, I get an hourglass for a second and then nothing. It acts as if I have not tried to open it. Sometimes, I see what looks like a generic window opening up on the taskbar, but that quickly closes...I can click the start button, but when I try to open up programs or the control panel (or anything in there for that matter) the system slows WAY DOWN and nothing really opens or it freezes. I can't open my documents or My Computer (it acts like what happens when I try and open Explorer...Hourglass, then nothing). I can open my beefy programs like Photoshop and Pinnacle Studio...Now, when I try to open the task manager, my system says that it has been disabled by the admin.

This is a home computer system that is logged to the internet via a home network router. I am thinking that I have some type of virus, but I can't log in to the net to download any of the helps out there. I wouldn't mind starting from scratch and reloading the system...but I really want to at least get my photoshop pictures off the hard drive.

Any thoughts anyone? I would be so very grateful...

Robb

Advertisements

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
You will need to do a cleanout, certainly sounds like something malicious.

Geeks to Go

Click the link and follow all instructions in the post. It may take a little time so be paitent.

achilles becqx

achilles becqx

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
before downloading any new stuff on ur computer or may be doing any scan on ur computer just go ahead and do a system restore, follow the steps below :
click on start -> all programs->accessories->system tools->system restore,
chk the option restore my computer to an earlier time and click on next,
on the left hand side u will have a calendar, click on any date that is in bold except yesterday and today,
if required u can try a date in january but dont go too far bcoz the restoration may come up as unsuccessful,
go thru the process and restore ur computer and let me know if u r having the same problem or not... :) best of luck :tazz:

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
System restore certainly can't hurt and it may save you a lot of time.
You should follow that link after you have done it thou and post a log just to be certain, quite often restore will not get rid of malware or virus.

achilles becqx

achilles becqx

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
hi desade,
thank u for ur concern may be system restore wont work in the long run but can surely fix the problem for now and get him a chance to keep his unsaved data backed up.
anyway thanx for the info once again, i just wanted to provide an alternative to ur solution,,,,,

robbc123

robbc123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi there,

Thank you for your thoughts. I am not able to download anything because Internet Explorer won't start up for me. I did try to restart in Safe Mode and I opened up the Administrator account. In Safe Mode, I get two options Administrator and HP-Administrator (Which has been my default account). In regular mode, I don't get the Administrator option. In safe mode and when I log into the Admin account, I am able to open Explorer and access the internet. While on here, I downloaded some of the recommended trojan/virus programs and also ran AdAware. Each of the programs found some things, but nothing seemingly remarkable. While logged in, I tried to run the Restore option, but the accessories option is not available to me in the start menu (strange! It is not there). I was able to run the System Restore in Safe Mode (in the admin account) and when I restarted the computer and attempted to log back in, the system restore screen would come up blank and and then not respond.

Any other thoughts?

Robb

robbc123

robbc123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Me again...

Also, when I select Restart, the shutdown gets stuck on msmsgs.exe and I have to end this program before it will let me shut down. This sometimes happens with Gcasserv.exe (which I believe has to do with the Microsoft Spyware program that I downloaded last week)...but not since the System Restore. Also something like NTVDM.exe sends an error message saying that "the application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application."

All of this happens when I try to restart or shutdown.

Robb

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Can you download and use hijack this in the link in my first post?

I don't usually suggest this but since you can't do anything I would post the log in the malware forum (see link above) and start cleaning it out.

They will get you to a point where you can access the downloads or suggest other alternatives.

achilles becqx

achilles becqx

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hi,
Thanx for appreciating..
restart computer in safe mode with networking, login Hp_Admin a/c and download the link desade has suggested and then run the downloads in normal mode, ur computer can freeze and i know this can be very frustating but kindly adjust...
if u r not able to download stuff in a/c HP_Admin try in Admin a/c i am sure u can do that if not just get back to me best of luck :tazz:

robbc123

robbc123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi there...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I was a bit skeptical, but it seems that some sort of malware was causing the problem. After following all of the steps and restarting, it all seems to be working. I have since installed the SpywareBlaster and have now switched to Firefox as my default browser.

I have an outdated version of Norton Antivirus. Do you suggest that I renew my subscription to this type of service in addition to the proactive approaches detailed on your website (SpywareBlaster and Firefox)?

I will be up most of the night backing up my thousands of digital pictures, but I'm grateful that I have this opportunity!

Robb :tazz: :) :)

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Follow the rest of the instructions in the malware forum (see link above) if you got malware that those programmes found its a pretty sure bet you have more.

Best to get it all right :tazz: