Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

about:blank problem, IE not working

• Please log in to reply

drewnsamsmom

drewnsamsmom

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My home computer has been infected with about:blank for some time. I have on several occasions, removed it, only for it to come back worse each time. I have Viruscan and ZoneLabs on my computer, and have been using Spybot S&D, Adaware, CW Shredder, and one other program that I can't remember off of the top of my head. Last week the infection reached its peak. My system slowed down considerably, and I have not been able to get into my email (hotmail or Yahoo) because I am continually rerouted to about:blank.

I was recently directed to this site for help. I started out by printing out the "You must read this before posting hijackthis log" and following the directions. I got to the virus scan part when my machine decided to lock up and required a reboot. This was done. Unfortunately, I am not longer to get into IE, or any other program on my computer, for that matter. If I attempt to open a program, my computer will just sit there and do nothing. I can't open anything, word, excel, control panel... you get the picture.

I have no idea what to do now. The computer is a 5 1/2 year old Gateway (don't even get me started about them), and up until now has been pretty dependable. We are using Win 98, and IE 6.0.

Any help would be appreciated. If nothing else, I need to be able to retrieve data on the computer so I can transfer it to a new one as we are certainly in need of one now.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Mandy :tazz:

Advertisements