Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Wont Boot. Black screen then resets

• Please log in to reply

Kubes

Kubes

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I need some advise- XP not loading.. Will in safe mode with Networking. :tazz:

My PC froze on Sat when I was getting downloads again and playing a song. I left it for 1.5min when nothing happened I pushed the reset button.
After that I could not boot up XP, It goes through the POST fine then I get the Black screen with the Windows XP logo and a status bar below it flashing back and forth then a black screen.
hangs there for 40sec. LCD monitor tells me that there is no connection. then the pc resets itself.
I can boot up in Safe Mode with networking and that works fine. can even connect to the net.

What I have tryed but get the same fault.
1. Repaired XP by runing the Recovery in XP cd - Tried again same answer
2.Backed up files and then ran KillDisk over the HDD (Writes 00 to every sector to sanitise the hdd) also gets rid of all partitions.. Ran the XP CD with intergraded SP2 set up a partition and installed a fresh copy of xp. still came up with same problem.
3. Looked at my BIOS and everything looked ok but reset to default settings all the same - Nothing
4. After reading some forums I tryed the FIXMBR under Recovery Consol - Still no luck
5. Have used memtest86 and the memory is fine

What would you suggest to try from here??
[font=Comic Sans Ms]

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
does your sytem have onboard video? or a pci,pcie,agp video card? or both?

Kubes

Kubes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It has a AGP ASUS GeForce4 grafics card..

I have Solved the problem.. It was the settings for the card that where set at a level that could not be displayed.
I don't know why this was not auto fixed when I reinstalled everything from scratch..
Also the card was overheating I think as the fan on it has been on its way out for a little bit as the bush is getting loose, and it vibrated the power to itself off. This may be why it auto set itself to 4bit colour and 480X600

If any of you have similar problems try another Graphics card to see if that rectifys your fault..

I am currently running an old Geforce 2mmx that I had spare and that will get me by till I test my original card again.

Thanks for the reply and peace out