Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just simple curiosity

• Please log in to reply

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I was thinking the other day, and my curiosity is starting to get the better of me.

If I decided to rip an old power supply out of a 10 year old box, and strap it into my computer, and power additional drives with it ( because my power supply only has 1 free feed left, but i still have numerous IDE and SATA channels )

It's just curiosity, I recognize buying a more powerful power supply would be the normal course of action.

But, would it be safe to do that? I'm pretty sure it would run ok, but what do you guys think about it?

Thx for input. I know, I have a strange mind. :tazz:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It can be done but you'll have to do a spot of rewiring and soldering and so on.

Plus there's the added fact that computer cases are not designed to hold more than one PSU.

You can always buy power splitter cables if you need more molexes/connectors than you actually have free.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
remember the on off switch is on the motherboard and that means you are going to have to splice the wires together on the connector (and do it right), so both PSUs will engage

Also, remember that PSUs have changed ssome over the years...basic voltage is the same, but you could be asking for trouble

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
lol yeah.

thx guys