Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Problems

• Please log in to reply

kaxx

kaxx

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just sold my old computer to a friend of mine, and he just called me and said that when he plugs his I-pod into any of the usb ports, the computer instantly shuts down. Seems odd, the usb ports worked fine for me, but I only plugged my printer and zip250 into them. Any suggestions??

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
kaxx –[USB and Ipod shutdown PC]
6th Feb 2006

just sold my old computer to a friend of mine, and he just called me and said that when he plugs his I-pod into any of the usb ports, the computer instantly shuts down. Seems odd, the usb ports worked fine for me, but I only plugged my printer and zip250 into them. Any suggestions??

Need more information – but generally the problem may be –

1- Need to update ipod driver
2- Possible conflict with Video or other resource

Open – [Device Manager] – Locate USB Controller Host & ipod Folder – and Update Driver there or go to [System Info] & find – [System Resource] Folder & look at [IRQ Resource] to see what IRQ Resource the ipod is using and sharing with -

Depending how old PC is – Easiest repair would be – Just purchase an USB Expansion CARD if Desktop or an USB PCMCIA Card if Laptop – See Link

http://www.usbman.co...2 pci cards.htm

Jack123

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Deleted Duplicate Post -

Edited by Jack123, 06 February 2006 - 01:43 PM.

kaxx

kaxx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, I'm actually gonna try that tomorrow. My friend's bringing over his 4 port card. I just wish I didn't have to do that as I'm limited to 2 slots on the mobo.