Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

hardrive issue

• Please log in to reply

shockerboy8

shockerboy8

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
alright so my friends computer completely busted and i have to reformat it to make it work again, but she has too many important files that she needs to save, so i took her harddrive home to copy all the files to my harddrive and get her a new harddrive to start over with, the thing is that when i plugged in the harddrive and i open up the drive there is only one file that is titled "?" and is 4 kb large, the drive properties clearly indicate that there is 10G taken up, the file system says that it is FAT and not NTFS, what can i do to fix this or at least copy her files to my computer so i can start over? thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This can happen if the drive was part of a RAID configuration. That is, if the data was spread across two drives.

Splitting the RAID up in this fashion means you can't get at the data by plugging the separate drives into a machine; they are now in effect tied to the original system.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
a more likely scenario is that the other computer that you took the drive out was formatted as fat16 not fat32 or ntfs....what was the original OS on this drive? what is the os on your computer?

shockerboy8

shockerboy8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
her OS is a Sony vaio type thing, mine is a custom built, im pretty sure its hewlett packard though, what can i do to copy her files, i am buying a new hd and starting her from scratch but she still needs some of the old files.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
sony doesn't make an operating system....what operating system was on the computer? 98? xp? what?

shockerboy8

shockerboy8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
my bad, i didnt know what you meant, she has XP

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
xp should never have been setup as FAT(truly FAT16)...are you sure it doesn't say FAT32?...if it just says FAT...then it's deffinitely FAT16..which is OLD...and could account for you not seeing the files..as there where different naming restrictions on FAT16...though...xp SHOULD be able to at least see the files.....

shockerboy8

shockerboy8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
well i have no clue, it just says FAT when i have it attached to my comp, and i cant see the files, but it says that there are files there, is there any possible way to show the files or just straight up copy them and then be able to see them, i just need the files, i dont care about using the hardrive ever again.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well FAT means FAT16...which xp should be able to see....PERPLEXELATION confounds...if the whole disk is truly formatted as such...then i'm not sure how XP would have run on it...s xp only gives the options to format as fat32 or ntfs (to my knowledge)....do you have access to a windows 98se machine?

shockerboy8

shockerboy8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
no, i cant get to a machine like that, but im not running my machine off of her drive, im running on my drive just hers as a slave caues i just wanted the files so therefore it should make sense but its not working, are there any programs or anything that could help me cause i dont want to reformat the drive because then she will lose all of her files. if i attatch it to her old comp with a new hardrive as a slave should i be able to copy the c drive to the new d drive?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you can try it on her machine and see if you get different results..i have a feeling that you won't get any better results as it's an issue with the file structure..not your computer...

what was the original issue that made you take her drive out to begin with?

shockerboy8

shockerboy8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
a virus crashed her system files and it would no longer boot up according to a disk read error, i attempted to fix it however it was saying that with her hardrive i would have to reformatt the whole thing so i didnt do that.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Hmm, doesnt sound good, you might try retrieving the files using a linux live cd and transfering them over to yours but you would have to be careful and check everything for malware.

shockerboy8

shockerboy8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
were can i get a linux live cd? do i have to by one or can i download one, also what do i do with it? ive never used linux.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can download them, just google fot them, i would try Knoppix or slax(slax is small) you just burn them to a CD and boot from them, some people can occasionally retrieve files on linux they cant on windows, although it may be the drive is to far gone. Linux is pretty simple you should be able to figure your way through it ok the GUI is quite like a cross between windows and mac OS i feel so its all straightfordward. Its certainly worth a try to retrieve the data.