Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting Laptop to TV

• Please log in to reply

wannabe_geek

wannabe_geek

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook. I have been trying to connect it to my television through and s-video cable. I plug it in and I adjust my settings in the display but nothing seems to work. Can it just be my TV or am I just doing something not right?

I went into the settings-->display-->right clicked the number 2 monitor thing-->clicked attached-->then hit apply.

After I do that nothing seems to happen. It just goes back to not being attached.

Help... :) :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
some tv's have a button on the remote called input...try changing that to the svideo setting on the tv itself....on my tv at home..the laptop wont detect the tv untill the svideo connection is chosen on the tv itself...

wannabe_geek

wannabe_geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Would it matter if the TV is too old? cause the remote that i have for it is one of those universal remotes with no input button or anything....so i dunno

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehe it could be....but if the tv has an svideo port...it should work...there may be a button on the tv to change the input settings..

wannabe_geek

wannabe_geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
that is the cord that i have....it is just like a normal video cord but one end has an attachment to plug into my laptop. and i just plug in the other end to the yellow hole in my tv....wouldnt it just work like that?

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture_009.jpg

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it should...though....once again..on some tv's you have to change the input to composite video for the "yellow cable" to work as well...

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
what graphics chipset do you have on your laptop? most nvidia ones you have to set whether its using s-video or composite out. even if you are using the s-video out with a composite adapter, you sometimes still have to select composite out. also, you may want to set it to "clone" display 1 rather than have the output as display 2. cloning will make a duplicate screen out to the tv. extending your desktop will make an extra wide desktop by using your screen as one half, and your tv as another.

oh also, you may have to turn your resolution down to something like 640x480. depending on how your settings are. took me like an hour of fussing to get my tv out working the first time on one of my computers.

CordwearingMonkeyBoy

CordwearingMonkeyBoy

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Don't know if this will help. But - I had a similar problem - (with a Tosh laptop) and turned out v simple - some models you have to have the S-video cable attached Before you boot-up (no idea why).
Also - (probably stating the obvious) but - every laptop has different toggels to switch display mode - with this model I have to hit F5 - 4 times before it scrolls to TV monitor display only. good luck.

wannabe_geek

wannabe_geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Mobile Intel ® 915GM/GMS.910GML Express Chipset Family

Ive been trying everything I could possibly think of....its so aggrevating yet I still keep trying :tazz:

wannabe_geek

wannabe_geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Don't know if this will help. But - I had a similar problem - (with a Tosh laptop) and turned out v simple - some models you have to have the S-video cable attached Before you boot-up (no idea why).
Also - (probably stating the obvious) but - every laptop has different toggels to switch display mode - with this model I have to hit F5 - 4 times before it scrolls to TV monitor display only. good luck.

Yeah I tried that....and i tried it again just now...nothing...and I have tried the FN F8 to change the display....still nothing....grrr....but thanks anyways :tazz: