Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no system32 folder, wtf?

• Please log in to reply

hellokitty85

hellokitty85

• Pip
  • 1 posts
A few days ago I noticed had no system32 folder. :) It did show up when I did a search for it, but I really want to know how it could have gotten moved from my Windows folder. I know I did not move it, and no one else is allowed near this computer. It's password protected. I scanned w/ Norton, Ad Aware and Spybot and my system was clean. I usually reformat my comp around this time of year, so I went ahead with that so I guess this isn't important now, but I really want to know why that happened. :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
your computer would not run without a system folder....

Did you already reformat? My only guess would be some hithero unknown rootkit that hides itself and the system folder from the windows user interface....but that would be remarkable

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hellokitty, i'm gonna request that someone from malware come and look at your topic....will you be willing to run some tests for them to try and identify something on your system? it would be very helpful for us and yourself for ust to try to identify this...as very few things can hide the system folder...

edit: just read that you formatted the machine...sorry...and..nevermind

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
System32 would become visible under Windows folder after you make sure that system folders are shown (they are not by default) in the Tools - Folder Options - View tab
The machine basically wont run without System32 folder.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
system32...under normal circumstances is not a hidden folder...(i've tried to hide it numerous times because of another similar post)...even with the hide protected system files and what not...you can(should..)still see it..

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
dsenette, I just hid the system32 on my computer successfully...

When the "hide hidden folders" is on, I can no longer see the system32...

You might want to check again.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i shall try it indeed...(deduces that administrative privelages may make differences)....

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
lol

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just for reference for the next thread of this nature...we are trying to gather information about a possible rootkit involved in similar scenarios...