Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Crash--Power Outage-- MORE

• Please log in to reply

juber0

juber0

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hello!

Havent been here in a while. ANyways this is the situation. At my house we blew a fuse, while I was on my PC. I do have surge protectors. Now my issue is that when I try to start up my PC it totally stops at the logging in screen. In case I am putting this too confusing, by the log in screen I mean that little green line..

Posted Image

It also does this when trying to log in with safe mode! They just dont want to move! I have tried reinserting the start up disks, and have everything rewritten on the PC. That goes through fine, but it just dosent want to get past the windows xp loading screen. I am currently using a backup computer with only a MAX of 12.67 GB, my other computer had somewhere around 32GB. I also have another backup which has a max of 6GB. Please help if possible..

**POST EDITED FOR SPELLING ERRORS JH**

Edited by juber0, 06 February 2006 - 03:04 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Use your windows xp disk to enter the recovery console

You do this by setting your PC to boot to the CD-ROM in BIOS (enter bios by pressing f1, f2 pr del key during memory count up, then searching for boot order, and setting the CD as the first boot device)

When the PC boots, it will boot from the CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for recovery console. You will be asked to log in.

For Windows XP Home, there is not password, just hit enter. For Windows XP pro, ask whomever set up the machine what password they used.

Once at the Recovery console c:\windows prompt, type
chkdsk /r
<enter>

Take a long walk, as this will take a while

If you do not have a windows xp disk, download RC.iso from the following link:

http://www.thecomput...edic.com/rc.iso

You need to burn this image to a CD and boot your computer with it--this is different than burning a file to a CD. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download the following program to another Windows XP machine, install it.

http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm

After installation, right click the RC.iso file you downloaded above and choose COPY IMAGE TO CD.

Then reboot your broken PC with that CD in the CD-ROM drive.

This will give you a recovery console to use to run

juber0

juber0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
grrr getting more and more complex..dont have a recorder device.. Do you think that my restore disk would have this file? Also, is it possible to record it to a 3.5 floppy?

Edited by juber0, 06 February 2006 - 03:28 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no, and no

sorry

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you could pull the drive and run it as a slave on a second machine, and run chkdsk on it from the other machine

juber0

juber0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
hmmm..lets see, maybe my dvd player is a recorder

juber0

juber0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
How would I do that?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Easiest way is to remove the drive from the bad computer by unscrewing it, removing power, and removing ide cable

put it in another winxp machine, leaving the drive that is there alone, but putting it on a separate cable.

Boot windows, determine drive letter. then go to the command line

start > run
cmd
<enter>

chkdsk /f d:

(assumes drive is now d:)

By putting it by itself on a separate cable, you can avoid playing with jumper switches

juber0

juber0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thanks for all the help! Unfortunatley I think it was time for my pc to die... it has been acting up, and everything recently the fan blad broke and I put in a new fan. Anyways, I went and ordered a PC from walmart.com. Here is a link to it...

http://www.walmart.c...duct_id=4545567

it is by far more superior the my windows emaiches w2247

http://configurator....7&modelid=43164