Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

AdAware BSOD c000021a Crash

• Please log in to reply

Darth_Tolkien

Darth_Tolkien

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am running XP with SP2. I have Norton, AdAware and SpyBot all updated as of this posting. When I ran AdAware it ran for about 15 seconds, found 1 module, 1 critical, and 1 file. Then the Windows taskbar changed color and the computer stopped and went to the BSOD with the c000021a Error Windows Logon blah blah blah. When I run SpyBot it works fine. Same thing with Norton.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
my only guess is it is hitting the registry in just the wrong place or sequence....does it crash in the same place (watch the scan line) every time? Or does it vary?

Darth_Tolkien

Darth_Tolkien

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
AdAware crashes at the same time every time.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
where? You can see the area it is scanning....woudl be useful to know

Darth_Tolkien

Darth_Tolkien

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It crashes when scanning the Windows\System32 folder. It stops at some file with the name xxxxxxObjApp.dll

With "xxxxxx" being a string of letters that I can't write down fast enough before the computer goes to the BSOD.

Right after it scans that file it is literally like flipping a switch to the BSOD. I then have to perform a hard restart.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I cannot recognize a file with those lettters...can you find it?

Darth_Tolkien

Darth_Tolkien

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The file is ncobjapi.dll Sorry about the confusion. The file name was on the screen only for a split second before the BSOD took over.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hmm, not a clue what it is, but it did come from MS....

you could either extract a fresh copy from the most recent service pack, or run

sfc /scannow
and see if windows replaces it with a copy that is not corrupt (I guess I am theorizing it is corrupt)