Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Monitor Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
On my Windows 98 computer, after 5 minutes the monitor goes into a type of "safe mode" (not sure of the technical term) that can ONLY be brought out of by hitting a key.

Just out of curiosity, it would only be a small convenience, but is there anyway to set it up to activate on the movement of a mouse instead?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
could you describe what is happening in a little more detail? as we can't see your monitor when it does whatever it's doing...what does it look like? does it say something? is it possibly going into standby?

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
It might be called stand-by I am not really sure of the term. After not using the PC for a certain amount of time the screen goes black and the monitor button changes color. I have no problem with it doing this as it helps to conserve power and is better for the monitors life-span. I was only wondering if it is possibly to configure a monitor that will only come out of this mode if you press a key to activate itself to a mouse movement instead (as most monitors do).

Just a curiosity really, not a real problem

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Right click anywhere on your desktop/
choose properties/
screensaver tab/
Power button/

There you will see a drop down box for choosing when to turn your monitor off or standby

There may be other options in there but I don't remember.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
it sounds like your computer is either going into hibernation or standby....since the mouse doesn't wake it up..it may be hibernation...which usually you have to disable in bios...there may be some settings where you can choose for mouse to wake up from standby/hibernation

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
It is set to turn off hd after one hour, monitor at 20 mins. I should still be able to set it to un-hibernate with the mouse though shouldn't I?

(No setting for mouse\keyboard in the power settings, already checked)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
IF it's going into hibernation....you should have a hibernate tab in the power settings...do you? if yes..i would personally turn off hibernation as it has been known to cause issues.....as far as the wake up on m ouse...it may not be supported...

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
All I have is one tab with settings for when monitor and hardrive shut off with a few presets. Some monitors do not support mouse wakeup? :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well...it's not the monitor that's going to sleep..it's the computer....depending on your setup....at a given period of time...the hard drive and processor turn off...(without which..you've got nothing to display...so by default....the video card turns off)...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
go to start > settings > control panel > double click on the mouse icon there...go to the hardware tab...do you see your mouse in there? if so highlight it and press the properties button....go to the power management tab...and make sure the "allow this device to bring computer out of standby" box is checked...then press apply and ok untill you're out of those windows....

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I will take a look, thanks...

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
No option there :tazz:

Sorry about the wait

Edit: There actually is not even a hardware tab in mouse under control panel

Edited by wm_hunter, 17 February 2006 - 09:48 PM.

wm_hunter

wm_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Any other ideas?