Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

msvcrt.dll error

• Please log in to reply

doc martini24

doc martini24

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
The problematic machine here is an older compaq desktop running Windows 98 on a 56k connection. it is kept in relatively good shape, please read through the entire thread-this is not a simple problem.

I've had problems with internet explorer randomly closing and using microsoft's troubleshooter found that the problem was with mscvrt.dll. I printed out instructions for installing a newer msvcrt file. (found at http://support.micro...b;en-us;302756)

The commands had me extract msvcrt.dll from my computer and restart in dos. While in dos it told me to replace msvcrt.dll with msvcrt.old (to differentiate it with the newer version I was about to place?). However, this last command never took place; after several attempts the computer froze and I restarted. Now the machine is caught in some awful kind of libido. Startup takes me all the way to where I can see my desktop background picture and then I get a grey box error saying that explorer.exe cannot be run correctly and the box says Windows needs to be installed. Clicking out of this message box brings up another, saying that msvcrt.dll cannot be found. Startup does not progress past this point. I've tried restarting in safe mode to no avail, and cannot use any keyboard shortcuts to get the computer to read my Windows CD. If I really cannot get past this point, is there any way to get the data off this older hard drive onto another computer? I would really appreciate any help on this.

-doc

I should add that i've been reading this thread (http://www.geekstogo...hl=msvcrt&st=15) and it very similar and i'm sure it could be helpful except i don't understand how to get to bios or dos from where I am now.

Edited by doc martini24, 06 February 2006 - 12:51 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Doc...

I'm assuming that the installation cd you have was provided with the computer and is a recovery set? I'm not real familiar with the older Compaq recovery disks, so am not sure if they take the machine to "factory fresh" or allow one to just reinstall the OS. (You will need the product key)

In any case, you're going to need a Win98SE Startup diskette. You can download this one: Win98SE OEM Save it to your desktop, double-click on the downloaded file, and put a floppy disk in the drive when prompted to do so...this will create a Startup diskette.

Windows 98 is one of the few Operating Systems that will install over itself without wreaking havok...providing we can get the recovery cd to let us do that.

Let me know when you have the Startup disk...

wannabe1

doc martini24

doc martini24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i found a neighbor with the right disk (ette) and he also solved the problem for me, much as you did in the thread i cited. Thanks anyways.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm glad you got it straightened out...thanks for letting us know. :tazz:

wannabe1