Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transfering/copying files between computers via USB

• Please log in to reply

dirkab

dirkab

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I would really like to backup a large portion of files from my laptop to my desktop. There are about 20-30 gigs of data I would like to backup and would like to avoid having to use DVDs and CDs to accomplish this, can I do this by connecting the 2 computers with a USB cable?

Advertisements

emblazon12000

emblazon12000

• Pip
  • 6 posts
The best thing to use would to establish a network connection and go from there using the network cable.

Emblazon12000 :tazz: :)

Edited by emblazon12000, 06 February 2006 - 03:13 PM.

dirkab

dirkab

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I think that would require me to buy some new hardware wouldn't it? Like network cards, hub, and ect.? Anyways I wasn't looking to spend any money on this since I already have the USB connection. So if there is a way to establish a network without me having to buy any new hardware then I'm all for it, but I would also need an explanation on how to do that.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If both systems have a network connector, use a crossover cable.

Then just copy and paste away from machine to machine. You don't even need a router. Just plug the two into each other with the cable and there you go.

dirkab

dirkab

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

If both systems have a network connector, use a crossover cable.

Then just copy and paste away from machine to machine. You don't even need a router. Just plug the two into each other with the cable and there you go.

Is a crossover cable the same thing as an ethernet cable? You mentioned a router like it help accomplish this copy, because I do have a router if that would make this easier.

Edited by dirkab, 06 February 2006 - 09:25 PM.