Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very Irritated!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Hey guys. My computer keeps resetting the CD burning and it's really starting to bug me a LOT.

I made myself a REG file to disable CD burning both in local machine and current user

However, periodically, the CD burning gets re-enabled on my primary Optical drive.

What is supposed to be a permanent fix has been needed to be applied 5 times now over the last 2 months.

Can anyone tell me why it keeps reverting, and how to make it stop??

Advertisements

achilles becqx

achilles becqx

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hi,
can u please explain what do u mean by resetting of ur cd burner and answer few more questions?
1. since when it is doing it?
2. Have u made any hardware or software change on ur computer?
3. How old is ur computer?
4. What kind of drive are u having?

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Windows resets its built in cd burning, which I disabled with the registry.

1.It's always been doing this

2.No changes that have directly caused or affected this. I added a second optical drive saturday, but the problem poped up just today. It seems to just popup whenever it feels like it.

3.Computer is 2 years old.

4.It's a standard cd burner / dvd reader.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Still no further replies to this topic.?

The CD burning was once again re-enabled by windows when I booted this morning.

Please reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'll research exactly where it is...but i'm almost sure there's a group policy object that will disable that...which is probably what's re-enabling it upon a restart as the gp will override any temporary reg fixes

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
XP home doesn't have GPedit.

However I may have perhaps found the culprit.. I took a walk over to Kelly's Korner XP Tips, and she says to disable the recording directly on the drive, by right clicking /properties/recording, and disabling it.

I think this is what was resetting the NoCDburning reg fix i made... Because the two settings were fighting eachother.

I suspect this might have also been the source of my drive letters resetting themselves... As a safeguard to have the entire algorhithm fail because of conflict, reset all drive letters and settings.

If you've looked at my other topic, with similar title to this one "Yet another annoyance :tazz:" , you can see that I explained that my drive letters were resetting themselves scince 2 weeks, seemingly randomly.

Well I remembered monday night after I posted that right after I had rebooted to reset the CD burning to my settings, the drive letters went. And after I reset my drive letters to what I wanted it to be, it was my cd burning that went again, reboot after reboot.

So I'm convinced now that the two problems were linked, and that by disabling it directly in the drive settings ( which I had never thought of before seeing kelly's site ), the conflict may be gone.

I'll keep you advised.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Well its been 2 days and it didnt come back... It's possible that it worked. My drive letters reset themselves again however, but 1 problem at a time i guess.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
I'm going to close this thread so that no one offers assistance in it. You started a new one, combining two threads, which is fine. :tazz: I just want to let other Staffers know this one needn't be replied to now :)