Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

netsetup.exe not supported on 2000

• Please log in to reply

poiuyt

poiuyt

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hi all

im a newbie here so forgive me if this seems simple to you guys ..

i have been atttempting to use the networking wizard on a win xp machine to set up a file sharing connection mshome between it and a win 2000 machine

at the moment both computers are connected to the internet via a router and an isp assigned static ip address ( thus both machines are assigned dynamic ip address i think?)

anyhoo ....when i try to run the .exe file created by the networking wizard on the win 2000 machine i find that it is not supported by win 2000.

i have tried to set up the win 2000 machine manually ie changing the group name to mshome and this seemed to work ... i get the message on 2000 machine " welcome to mshome" happy days .... but there is still problems

when i "search for workgroup computers" each computer only lists itself under mshome .
pinging from each computer to the router is fine however pinging between computers gives the message " request timed out "

perhaps i have neglected to complete some steps i am not sure .

any suggestions would be appreciated.
thankyou.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
on both machines do start > run > cmd > ipconfig /all and post the results...label them as xp machine and 2000 machine...pinging the ip is independant on the network membership...and whether they are in the same work grouop or not..you should still be able to ping between them

poiuyt

poiuyt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
attached are the results from the ipconfig/all command.

Attached Files

poiuyt

poiuyt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
this is weird .. i installed the xp update sp2 and now after turning off the firewall ,under mshome i can see the second (win 2000) machine under the lan workgroup mshome .... good

but when i try to view the win 2000 machines shared files i get the following message ..

"\\psycraft (win2000 machine) is not accessible. you might not have permissions to view this network resource check with administrator to see if you have permissions."

eventhough i have set permissions for "everyone" on the shared files...

when i look at the workgroup computers on the winn 2000 machine it still only see itself under mshome.

also i still cannot sucessfully ping between the xp machine and the win 2000 machine or vise versa
pinging the router is still fine though and internet is available on both machines.

any ideas are appreciated.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there's something wrong...you should be able to ping by ip address....no matter what network your belong to..your ip configurations look correct.. i believe in a home workgroup environment that you need to make sure the guest account is enabled and has permissions to the shared folder...try that?