Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Yet another annoyance! :angry:

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
That does it!

Ok here's the story. This is the third time that my Optical drive letters reset themselves.

I set them as X, Y, and Z, to allow for continual drive lettering of any new harddrive partitions.

The system worked fine, until recently, where it seems my computer decided that it was time to switch them back to K L and M

Third time in 2 weeks. I'm starting to get pissed.

All I did was reboot, cause my internet wasnt connecting. ( cable )

I'm at a loss of knowing what to do. All I did the last 2 times was put the letters back to what I made them to be, but they regressed, again.

Please advise.

Oh, correction however. It's not just the optical drives. All drive letter assignment is reset. My external drive, which usually assigns its partitions to L and M, have reverted to K and L

( scince my primary harddrive has 8 partitions, from C to J )

---

Update.
Well, I found where in the registry these informations are stored ( im pretty sure most of you already know, but ok. )

So I see that in /HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/MountedDevices all the drive letters are listed

But, they go from C: to O: , with all my partitions and optical drives
However, My drive scheme should be as follows.

C - J : Disk 1 partitions
K: - Removable drives
L and M - Disk 2 partitions

X Y Z optical drives.

But they have been automatically changed to C to O,
C-J Disk 1
KLM Opticals
N O Disk 2

Interesting fact though, the registry added another registry key right above MountedDevices, MountedDevice1

And MountedDevice1 contains the correct information.

What could be causing this, and what can be done to stop it?

Edited by Vaillant, 06 February 2006 - 04:35 PM.

Advertisements

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
I don't really think you can do much about it. It hapened to me few year back. I tried to fix it but I guest it is XP it self. As soon as I have more drives cornected to system, it will get all confuse and do thing like you seeing now. After awhile all pissed off I just let it go, accept the fact and move on. Thing better ever since.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
That just isnt an acceptable answer.

I have been looking into my problem, as the drives reset themselves again tonight.

I can't identify the cause. But the problem started 2 weeks ago, a day after I had high-speed internet installed.

Never had this problem before then. Beats me how or why it would affect my drive letters.

I also doubled my RAM. I figure that my problems would be more systematic, but I'm about to run a test on my RAM to check that out.

A week ago I installed a new optical drive, a Pioneer DVD burner. But I KNOW that the drive wasnt what prompted this, for 2 reasons : 1-problems started prior to drive installation. 2-problems didnt happen specifically after installing the drive. it still occurs seemingly randomly.

Please respond. I refuse to let this go.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
I'm going to close this thread so that no one offers assistance in it. You started a new one, combining two threads, which is fine. :tazz: I just want to let other Staffers know this one needn't be replied to now :)