Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply

unethical

unethical

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
As my other computer with Windows XP is down and being worked on with computer tech's. I am stuck with a old laptop that I am using to post this. I have another decent computer with Windows 98. This computer can only use a USB internet connection. Has no slot for an ethernet connection. In the past I was able to get the USB internet connection to work. But I could not get it to work right away, someone had me do a few things to get it work. So does anyone know how to get the computer with Windows 98 to work with the USB internet connection? All I remember is someone telling me to do these commands and what not, and it worked. So does anyone know what to do? Thankyou for your help :tazz:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Run the CD for the modem first, THEN plug it in. Not the other way round.

Do this even if the USB Modem has been on that laptop before. Windows 98 has a habit of basically forgetting what its already seen.

achilles becqx

achilles becqx

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hi,
It is true that there has been some issues with the usb and win 98 so what u can do is u can copy the driver inf file into the hard drive in
c:\windows\system32 and c:\windows\inf folder and then plug in the modem to ur computer. it will pop up as new hardware found, then use the advanced option of the installation and then when it is asking for the driver location, manually locate the inf file in c:\windows\inf folder and complete the installation, it might not work on the first chance but it will surely resolve the problem in 2 or 3 chances.
Best Of Luck Buddy :tazz: