Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how do you get around this in 98?

• Please log in to reply

Townes

Townes

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
i have a friend or a client i am trying to help out and he has a virus on his windows 98 nb and each time me and him try to acces my computer it freezes. we have tried dos to run a disc cleaner with a program i have but how do you run it or can i just get the virus off my doing a scan disk and would the registry repair help as well? ( i have so many ideas but not sure how to use them plz help).

also i have a memory key i tried to insert in the nb but it said it could not reconnize it or install it right and he has no internet and cant access the drive b/c of the virus on my compuer.- (icon that wont work). hopfully someone will help :tazz:.

Edited by Townes, 06 February 2006 - 05:09 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What's an "nb"?

I presume the "memory key" is a pendrive of sorts?

And who exactly has the virus? You say your friend has it and then you say you've got it.

Which version of 98 is it?

Townes

Townes

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
an nb is a notebook and yea the memory key i am saying is like a flash drive i am trying to use. hes got the virus in my computer but th virus is blocking both of us out. windows 98.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i would suggest not trying to fix an infected computer WITH an infected computer...try getting your computer clean first then trying to fix the other one

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well if you have another machine with Antivirus you could possible make an emergency boot disk. I think F-prot still offers a dos based scanner... you could possible put that on a cd and then boot from floppy and run the f-prot scan. About the only other option I can think of off the top of my head would be to pull the hard drive and hook it up to a regular pc with a 2.5 to 3.5 conversion kit and scan for virus that way... or better yet pull the stuff you need off and then do a complete reinstall of the os when you put it back in the laptop.

Townes

Townes

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
MY COMPUTER IS NOT INFECTED! IT IS HIS THAT IS INFECTED WITH THE MY COMPUTER ICON IS BLOCKINVG HIM OUT ON HIS NB! NOT MINE!!@!!!! Would f-prot fit on a floppy disc and if so how would i run it in dos?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
No f-prot will not fit on a floppy... not anymore anyway. What I'd recommend is to burn them to a cd, then use a win98 boot disk to boot the laptop. then you simply change to the cd drive letter and then type f-prot