Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java Catch 22

• Please log in to reply

CordwearingMonkeyBoy

CordwearingMonkeyBoy

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Aarg. OK. I'm stuck in a Catch 22. Win XP - Started having problems with progs like iTunes, Limewire etc not running/crashing - shortly after 2 Java J2SE updates (5& 6) were taken onboard.
Tried the usual - virus scans, disk scans, system restore, last known config reset etc - all to no avail.
Taken versions of Java on and off..
Now - I can only run stuff in Safe Mode.
My knowledge is v limited - but I'm guessed this was a registry/software problem? esp - as I can't even open my Java Folder in Control Panel..
I ran 2 free registry - checks and they found and removed some small stuff - plus finding other 'serious ' probs.
I had to buy full Registry Mechanic - but now I can't even input my Licence Code in what I guess is a Java-based page... (the irony).
Also - when I try to install the full version of Reg Mechanic - it says it can't find a file of MS Office - and I can't remove it in Safe Mode/ or without WXP crashing...
see my predicament..? Very scared of going near Regedit etc...
Please help/advise/tell me which trees are soft enough to bang my head against.... :tazz:

Advertisements

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Well, first off, I'd say stay away from oak...those things will leave one [bleep] of a ding in your head...

More on topic though, It sounds more and more like you've been creating new issues while trying to resolve the java issue.

First, let's try the Java...open internet explorer, go to tool, then internet options. Go to the advanced tab, and look for Sun Java and see if it's checked off. If yes, good start. Next, look under sun ther ecould be something labled as virtual machine or VM. disable all 3 in this section if any are checked off. Reboot as it asks you to, see if that fixes that.

Start with that, let me know if that resolves the Java issue, we'll move on from there.

CordwearingMonkeyBoy

CordwearingMonkeyBoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank s for the advice BabyTech. JRE 1.5 _06 is checked off in the options (says it requires restart?). but can't see JVM anywhere there. Although on my default options - it says to use 'current virtual machine.'
?
Another - thought - I have both J2SE update 4 and update 6 listed on my programs - should they both be there? Doesn't that cause problems?

thanks again. I've stayed away from oaks too..

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
they should be....you have tried removing java in add/remove software?

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
yes they should both be there, but only one should be checked off

CordwearingMonkeyBoy

CordwearingMonkeyBoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
hey. yeah, tried uninstalling and re-installing - might be worth another shot though...?
am I barking up the wrong tree? it must be a Java problem surely - why else would only itunes/Limewire etc - and this trading platform applet not work?

I'll keep trying . thanks for the help