Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

CPU is always running high

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hey guys, I'm having troubles with my CPU usage. If I do nothing, I often see something like 10-15% CPU usage allot of the time.

When I have voice chat on (anything like yahoo, Teamspeak, Skype etc), I have like 40% usage. A buddy I talk with is getting like a total of 6% in what appears to be the same situation.

Any ideas?

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Check in your task manager under processes to see what the computer is running. Browsers use 50-100K, vsmon uses 15K, explorer uses 16K, svchost uses 17K, and usually there are a bunch of smaller programs running. Is there any there with high usage? If you unplug from the internet does cpu usage drop off? Instant message programs do use a lot of resources simply because they are alway talking to the connection to keep it alive. Perhaps setting the message programs to manual in services will stop all the usage when you are not using them. You will have to start them each time you want to use them if you do this.
Just my thoughts on this.