Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no internet, its being weird

• Please log in to reply

shockerboy8

shockerboy8

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
so here i am going to be as detailed as possible, my gfs computer crashed so i bought her a new hardrive, i formatted it and installed windows, however i did not have an enthrenet cable plugged in from the router, i just dont know if that is going to make a difference or not here later on, anyways, windows installed great and everything, its boots up wonderfully but i cannot connect to the internet, so that pretty much sucks, i checked all the settings and attempted to connect to the network and nothing worked at all, all the other comps on the network are working great with the internet, so i have no clue what to do, under device manager the ethernet adapter does have the yellow exclamation mark next to it, so i decided to reinstall those drivers right? but no!! you have to be connected to the internet to get the stupid drivers, so thats great, so i think maybe it had to do with the fact of not having the ethernet cable attached to the comp when the comp was installing windows, yes no? anyways i reformatted the drive again and am installing windows with the cable attached. am i doing anything wrong? please help me!!

Advertisements

juice88

juice88

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Listen Shock Boy YES it's all about the drivers. You should've extracted the drivers before you formatted the drive but oh well too late. There is always other solutions. You say other computers can connect and have acces to the net right...well just pop the hood see if its's a on board network port or a card. Find the manufacter brand and model and use the other comps to dowload the driver. Save it on a thunb drive if you have one and then simply transfer and reload the drivers from it. If its brand computer well then just logg on to the manufacter's website and download the driver thier or go to www.driverguide.com register and get the driver. You just have to use another computer to get the driver the router cable thing doesn't matter.

shockerboy8

shockerboy8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
ok well i already reformatted the drive and am going to reinstall windows, how do i install the drivers before i install windows and all?

juice88

juice88

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Like I said you have to open your computer to find out who made your network port. If it's a card better...... all you have to do is remove it see what brand and model it is go fetch it online like on www.driverguide.com or go directly to the manufactures website with another computer use the ones that are working on the net. Download it save it on a floppy,cd, or thumb drive what ever you have then after you reload windows then apply it. (Since you already formatted your drive well then there is no other choice then to load windows) After it is loaded then you go to device manager just update your NIC drivers and tell it where you have it save. You must use another computer to fetch your driver there is no other way unless you simply buy a new one and install it to save you the hassle. :tazz: It works I've done it plenty of times when I have to format and re-load windows when a computer crashes.