Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer Favorites...Gone!

• Please log in to reply

artfulmisuse

artfulmisuse

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi; I'm brand new here, and I hope you can help me out. I am SO freakin' mad at Microsoft right now.

I downloaded their Microsoft Antispyware program. Upon the last reboot, the program said it found some potential hazards, and asked me to allow or block them. I blocked the ones that said: Block(recommended), and lo and behold, it was my favorites for IE6. Now, when I click Favorites in IE, its completely blank. AR!

I tried uninstalling the Microsoft Antispyware program, but it gave me a Fatal Error saying something like, "could not locate user\%favorites%". And now it WON'T uninstall!

The worst part of all this is I got hasty and located the Microsoft Antispyware program in C:\Program Files and deleted everything I could in the folder. One file, shellextension.dll, can not be deleted.

I want my favorites back and I want this stupid program OUTTA HERE! Please help!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Unfortunately, because this program is classed as a beta, its not uncommon for it to do things on one system that it won't do on others. This sort of unpredictable behaviour is the risk you take with beta software.

But having said that...
http://windowsxp.mvp...Q.htm#favorites may or may not help re your bookmarks.

artfulmisuse

artfulmisuse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi, I tried to edit the registry. I went to the path above, but I don't know how to change the key type from REG_SZ to REG_EXPAND_SZ.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that key value is Reg_sz?

Just want to make certain....if so (darn wierd), then delete the key and create a new key

right click in an open space, choose NEW > EXPANDABLE STRING VALUE, and create it (note, case sensitive, I think, so "Favorites"