Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help With

• Please log in to reply

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hey I just disabled system restore to rid myself of some adware and after reabling it my pc won't put out any sound.Theres quick noise on boot up but after that nothing.Can anyone help?

Advertisements

Cap

Cap

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Not sure what your specs are (OS and such) but try right clicking on your lower right hand tool bar where the "sound" icon is, select adjust audio properties, click on the sounds tab, select your sound scheme of choice (if it's blank that's why you're not hearing anything), click apply and ok. If that doesn't fix it, more info will be needed.

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
I tried what you said and it was blank but had some settings so I changed it to another but still no sound.I am also running ME if thats any help.

Cap

Cap

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Next. Go to the same icon.

This time click OPEN VOLUME CONTROL.

Click OPTIONS.

Click PROPERTIES.

Click PLAYBACK.

Make sure what ever you listen to is CHECKED (e.g. wav, play control, CD in, PC speaker, Line in, etc) Whatever you don't use, leave UNCHECKED.

Click OKAY.

Only one item should be checked under the volume controls. That's the one that's MUTED, and it's generally the MIC. Also there are slide bars to adjust volume levels of each output. You may do some customizing here if desired.

Click OKAY, exit and try again.

If these steps don't "git 'er done", someone with more expertise needs to move in.

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Didn't work either Thanks for giving it a try Cap.

Cap

Cap

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I'm sure you've alrady given this a shot, but (not being a quiter) have you check out the sound card?

START;
SETTINGS;
CONTROL PANEL;
SYSTEM;
DEVICE MANAGER

(I don't know Win-ME, but if it's like winXP)
START
SETTINGS
CONTROL PANEL
SYSTEM
HARDWARE
DEVICE MANAGER

Anything there with a YELLOW circle with an exclamation point in it or a RED X? If so, drivers may need to be reinstalled.

Scroll down to SOUND CARD, open the icon and see what's there. If nothing, your sound card has not been recognized by the OS and attempts to reinstall should begin. If there is your your sound card there, I'd reinstall the drivers just for giggles.

I'm only qualified to instruct Sound Retrieval 101 (smilie face). Hope your successful with this last ditch attempt at my level of expertise.

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Thanks again for giving ot another shot.When I went to device manager under sound there is ESS Allegro PCI Audio (WDM) but no sound card(I think that is because I use onboard sound) Under properties it said the device is working properly.Also I went back to my scheme and it seems to be missing the small sound icon next to Windows, Windows Explorer, Sound Recorder, Media Player, NetMeeting. Microsoft works etc... and are replaced with the small icon when missing a program.

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
I finally fixed the problem so now i seem to have sound again.

Thank you so much for lending me the info that you provided me with Cap :tazz:

Cap

Cap

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
What was the issue? You can't keep me in suspense now!! (smilie face)

plehsdeen

plehsdeen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
I'm not sure what the actual problem really was Cap. While I was checking around with google to try and find an answer a noise came[from speakers] out and I checked by playing a file and I now have sound again. [Go figure] Thanks again for your help Cap :tazz: