Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pentium 4, 423 pin. Help.

• Please log in to reply

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Im looking at buying a new P4 for my old dell. Unfortunatly it has the 423 pin P4 in it. So heres my question - Are all 423 pin Pentium 4's the same? Ive noticed there are different versions such as SL5SG, SL5SZ,SL5VM.
Are they interchangable? ANY info on these processors and their interchangability is helpful. Thanx in advance, -Pete.

Edited by p-zero, 07 February 2006 - 02:30 PM.

Advertisements

p-zero

p-zero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Bump.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Please don't bump.

Dells can be a different kettle of fish when it comes to upgradability because of their non-standard BIOS layouts and what not.

Best thing to do is look up your model on Dell's website and look to see what upgradablity, if any, exists for that board.

Socket 423 is the sub 1.5Ghz family, and new Pentiums these days are running on Sockets 478 and 775. Therefore it may not be cost effective to upgrade it.

p-zero

p-zero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Socket 423 is the sub 1.5Ghz family,

Um....no its 2.0 and down. And actually the price on em isnt too bad, its just finding someone that sells em.
-Pete.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The socket 423 P4 chips are essentially all identical (Voltage/FSB etc) except for their clock speed. The clock speeds range from 1.3GHz up to 2GHz. The different specification numbers (i.e SL5SG etc) determine the clock speed.

I know that proprietry systems such as Dell tend to be more picky about the hardware they will support, but providing your system can support the actual clock speed, then I see no reason why it wouldn't support all of the 423pin P4s.