Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop stutters

• Please log in to reply

fjon

fjon

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My laptop is stuttering quite frequently recently - every 15-20 seconds usually.
It's an IBM Thinkpad T41. The only hardware changes I have made are replacing one 256 memory stick with 512, and upgrading the 40GB HDD to an 80GB one. However this was quite a while ago, and the stuttering has only gotten serious recently.

With Windows Task Manager open, in the processes window sorted by CPU usage, I notice "System" jumps right to the top whenever there's a spike/ stutter. However, I can't seem to find the process within "System" which is causing this:

Posted Image

Any ideas what else I could do to investigate this?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Did you check

VIEW > SHOW FRACTIONAL CPU usage

If a sub process is using the CPU, it should show then

ADDITIONALLY,

START > run
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under SYSTEM or APPLICATION for errors at the time this showed. I would hazard a guess that you have a bad block on the new harddrive

fjon

fjon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you gerryf,

I carried out the steps above.

When I select "Show Fractional CPU Usage", I still only see the System process jump up during the spikes, and no sub-process.

And unfortunately I can see no errors in the event viewer either.