Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Any help over here?

• Please log in to reply

snugglezthedeathcat

snugglezthedeathcat

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
When I go into my regedit... There seems to be 2-4 different copies of the same files...what do i do? do i delete the ones that say for example.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActiveUtils.DriveInfo
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActiveUtils.DriveInfo.1
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActiveUtils.GetTimeAndDate
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActiveUtils.GetTimeAndDate.1

and there are some like this

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActiveUtils.DisableFileAndPrintSharing
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActiveUtils.DisableFileAndPrintSharing.1
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActiveUtils.DisableFileAndPrintSharing2
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActiveUtils.DisableFileAndPrintSharing2.1

do i delete the ones that are duplicated or is there a hidden virus in my computer?
nothing I have for sofftware detects anything
but i know these duplicated files are filling my harddisk space like mad
:tazz: good luck team :)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
you are already being helped with an issue here by two of our better members. http://www.geekstogo...topic=96261&hl=

is this post about a different problem or the same problem?

snugglezthedeathcat

snugglezthedeathcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
this is a different topic...i was complaining about my usb port drivers and everything missing...now i just want to know if i delete the duplicate files in my resgistry to retain lost space?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
well...registry entries such as the one's listed...don't really contain files...they contain pointers to files or file types or settings or...you get the idea....so...your registry isn't what would be taking up space on your drive if that's what you mean...

those technically aren't duplicate entries

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActiveUtils.DriveInfo <--entry one
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActiveUtils.DriveInfo.1 <--probably a different entry for a similar class
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActiveUtils.GetTimeAndDate <---referencing entry 1 above
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ActiveUtils.GetTimeAndDate.1 <--referencing entry two above

now..unfortunately i have no idea what these particular keys are referencing...and honestly..can't find anything a-la google for them....it may be in your best interest to take a trip through the malware forum (link in my signature) just to make sure that you aren't infected with anything