Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with MS Frontpage

• Please log in to reply

JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hello;
I am about to publish my Web Site that I have created in MS Frontpage, in order to limit the size I have been checking that all files are actually being used.
One of the pages that I have created uses a lot of pictures and I have noticed that there are two copies of each picture Image001 and Image002 for instance are the same picture but only displayed once.

Before i started removing the redundant pictures I have been trying to check which ones are being used.

If I open the page in Frontpage I cannot get any picture properties such as name that would help identify the redundant pics.
I switched to HTML view and it seems that all the images are being show the text in this view is very strange, every so often down the page some of the HTML is greyed out, these parts of text contain links to these extra pics.

Is this somehow aletered HTML that has stayed behind but is not being used??

Any help would be great?

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
hi JohnnyAplpa,

whenever you want to preview a page with Frontpage, try using 'Preview in Browser'. it's the icon to the right of the printer icon. once the page is displayed using the browser, you can right click on the images and then view the properties where the image name is shown. the preview feature in frontpage does not always render web pages the same as a browser, so it's a good idea to always use 'Preview in Browser'.

I'm confused about the 'greyed out code'. if you can post the code surrounding and including the 'greyed out code' it might be more clear.

bdlt

JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
[font=Arial][size=7]Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, How do you turn on E Mail notification??

Ref the Frontpage post, I have found out that in Frontpage you can colour code HTML text, the grey text refers to comments!!!

So I removed all the double images that appeared in the grey comment HTML and voila the page still loaded OK.

Not happy with the Layout options for pictures in front page there is not a lot of choice and text wrapping around pictures is a real pain.

Thanks for the info about browsing.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
I'm glad to hear you were able to remove the extra images.

one thing you will find when using FP is that some of the generated code will need to be modified(by you). you can use FP to start a page and do the initial picture layout, however, the fine tuning is done with the html code. perhaps one of our experts can give you some pointers on intermingling text and images.

the following is from FrontPage help regarding your email question:

Send form results in an e-mail message
You can send form results (data that a site visitor enters in your form) in an e-mail message. Each time a site visitor submits a form, a message containing the results of the form is sent to the e-mail address you specify. You can also configure other options for the messages, such as the text for the Subject line and the address for the From (Reply To) line.

Note In order to use this feature, the Microsoft FrontPage Server Extensions must be installed on your Web server and they must be correctly configured for e-mail. If you experience any problems using this feature or receive any error messages, contact your server or ISP administrator about correcting the configuration.

In Page view, right-click the form, and then click Form Properties on the shortcut menu.
Click Send to.
In the E-mail address box, type the e-mail address to which you want to send the form results.
Note If you do not want results saved to a file in addition to being sent in e-mail, clear the File name box.

Click Options, and then click the E-mail Results tab.
You can set properties for the results e-mail as needed, such as the format of the text and whether to include form field names in the results.

In the Subject line box, type the text that you want in the subject line of the e-mail. If you leave this box blank, the default subject line in the e-mail will be "Form Results."
If you want the subject line of the e-mail to contain the results of one field from your form, select Form field name, and then type the name of the field in the Subject line box.

In the Reply-to line box, if you want a specific e-mail address to appear as the sender of the e-mail (the From or Reply To line in the e-mail), type the address.
However, if your form contains a field that collects the site visitor's e-mail address, you can use that address as the sender's address. Select Form field name, and then in the Reply-to line box, type the name of the form field.

Tip To test your form, preview it in your Web browser by clicking Preview in Browser .

I hope this helps.

Edited by bdlt, 11 February 2006 - 02:44 PM.