Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Aggravation

• Please log in to reply

proletarian1871

proletarian1871

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Greetings all, just joined, found the site while googling for info :tazz:

The issues I am stumped by are not system threatening but rather more of a major annoyance.

I have ripped alot of my music onto the system, have been painstakinly editing tags, adding cover art, lyrics, etc.... and no small feat, considering the number of files in my complete tull and neil young libraries alone ;)

My music files are set up for thumbnail view, and have structured by artist with pic of same..choosing best for single artist option, then covers for the album/cd subfolders selected using best for files/single album option, with the images for the respective album/cd is a info-pics-lyrics sub-folder along with the media files.

What is happenning is the folder image/art is changing on other folders in the media section, i.e. assign the album art for say tull's say Crest of a Knave, and that cover is applied to say Anti-Flag's mobilize folder. when i reset that folder to its proper artwork the same image is applied to the Tull folder. If I alter the folder name from say 2001 - "album title" to 2001 "album title" or (2001) "album title" etc.. this stops it, but then can appear elsewhere, I have this issue with several files, seems almost random, as well as cutomizations not remaining applied.

What is causing this, how can I fix it, want to keep folder naming formats uniform i.e. 2001 - "album title", and the visually pleasing thumbnail view of my music folders, as is easier to browse by covers than text when deciding what to que up.

I had thought was becuase the files were on an external hd, so added the sata 200gb internal and the same thing is happening.

I am guessing something is awry, as this seems like a simple thing for XP to keep straight. I also just noticed that there is random art applied to folders in the programs directory when in thumbnail view.

I hope someone has a fix, as have almost 100gb of music on this thing, and have just barely made a dent orgainizing it all (hint don't wait till you have gigs of stuff to do lol)

The dc/dvd drive problem, is the drives don't update in my computer when changing discs, can explore and things are fine, suspect a windows update is causing this as it does not happen with a fresh install before updating.

When I burn a disc, I can not read it after completetion, unless I reboot. This happens with any app used to burn discs, nero, pinnacle, deep burner, wmp, cd/dvd burner xp pro etc.. this whether a music disc, data disc etc... have the adaptec aspi layer installed, all drivers are current, Ms Highmat update etc...

Any advice, fixes pointers in the right directio would be most welcome.

Thank You In advance
prole

Advertisements