Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with thesaurus/spell check

• Please log in to reply

THFC

THFC

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi again,

Thanks for your help with other issues, what a great site, thank you.

I have run into a problem on MS Word, as stated, the spell checker does not work when clicked, and the thesaurus does not work when clicked either via the tools or pressing shift > f7, both used to work when used a few weeks back, what has one wrong? and how could I get them to work again?

Thanks,

THFC

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open Word, click help then detect and repair, you need a tick in restore shortcuts

THFC

THFC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Thanks, it is working now, don't know how these things happen!

THFC

THFC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi, the problem is back again, this time the thesaurus works, but the spell checker will not automatically detect an incorrect spelling, very annoying! I tried the above method but no success.

THFC

Edited by THFC, 08 February 2006 - 04:07 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have the Office CD's, go to add / remove, click change for Office, then add or remove features,

[attachment=6444:attachment]

click next then put a tick in advanced customization of applications,

[attachment=6445:attachment]

click next then click Word, click run all from my computer

[attachment=6446:attachment]

click update. You can also do this for any other parts of Office, if you have the room on the drive then selecting all parts and then run all from my computer is a good move

If you re-install Office in the future, choose complete install and leave the installation files on the drive

THFC

THFC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I'm afraid I don't have the CD, but thanks for your efforts so far.

The problem does not apply to the first page of the document for some reason, does this help with finding the root cause?

I tried to run the reinstall which failed as I have no CD and upon trying to spell check/use thesaurus, I was greeted with the following error messages:

Word cannot find grammar MSgr??32.dll for .

and

cannot find the spelling file MSSpell3.dll or MSSp232.dll for .

This is the first time I have seen the latter of these messages, but the burning question is why do all the spelling/thesaurus work for the first page but not the rest of the document!!

Have they been disabled by me or something for certain pages? if that is possible? I am lost here!

Thanks again,

THFC

Edited by THFC, 08 February 2006 - 01:35 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it works for the first page, it should continue, with XP you can borrow the same version CD to run the repairs etc, possibly worth a try with Office, if it asks for a product key at any point then use yours, not the one from the borrowed software

THFC

THFC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

If it works for the first page, it should continue, with XP you can borrow the same version CD to run the repairs etc, possibly worth a try with Office, if it asks for a product key at any point then use yours, not the one from the borrowed software

It does not work for the rest of the document, which is 7 pages in total, only the first, really annoying :)

I don't have the CD which is going to cause no end of troubles I sense :tazz:

Thanks Keith for your replys.

Edited by THFC, 08 February 2006 - 04:18 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You are up against needing to replace files which are usually only on the Office CD

However,

http://www.dll-files....php?s=msspell3

http://www.dll-files...h.php?s=mssp232

You will need to fill in the blanks for the msgr one

THFC

THFC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Thanks for your help!