Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Problem HELP!

• Please log in to reply

andrewsexton

andrewsexton

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hi all,

Heres my problem:

I currently use AOL as my broadband provider on a 576 connection and have recently installed a home network. One computer is wired and the old mans laptop is on a wifi connection. The trouble is every computer that is hooked up to the network while on the net ever so often disconnects and this gets very annoying. Sometimes the DSL light turns off on the modem most of the time when the net cuts out both lights on the router are working (dsl and internet). I use a Linksys WAG 54G router. Do I need to upgrade the firmware? Also when listening to streaming radio it cuts out as well. I have attached a photo of my router if that helps.

My second problem is with AOL I cant seem to run a pop 3 account. I need this option as I run a large squash league. Is there any way round this?

Hope you can help.

Thanks

Andrew

Attached Thumbnails

• router.JPG

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi andrewsexton,

When you lose interent activity, can you regain a connection by going to Start --> Run --> type CMD --> press OK. Now type:
  • ipconfig /release -- wait for the connection to release; then
  • ipconfig /renew -- wait for the connection to re-establish, or alternatively for an error message to display -- if it is an error message, please post the message.
Please goto Start --> Run --> type EVENTVWR and press OK --> Now, look under the System log for any errors and/or warnings. If you find any, please post the relevant heading, along with the details inside by double clicking on the error/warning, and then copy/pasting the information from within.

stlbud

stlbud

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I had similar problems. It ended up being the phone line. The 80 year old phone line to our neighborhood had too high an impedence making dsl unreliable. It took a number of loud phone calls to our ISP and the phone company to get this resolved. Strange thing was, once I actually got them to come into the house to test the line, they knew what to do to fix it and did so very quickly.

Bill B