Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Seagate 200 GB External HDD Problem

• Please log in to reply

Daz Gib

Daz Gib

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
I bought a Seagate 200GB about a month ago. I use it mainly for video storage and playback. Files are no greater than 80MB. I have about 10GB worth of Videos (Mostly Music) It worked perfect (super fast transfer and playback) for the first 2 weeks. Then all of a sudden (ie. I changed nothing with the PC) when playing back files they would skip and play very choppy and transfer s would slow down to about 20 minutes to move an 80MB file from it to my internal HD.

So I emailed Seagate, He said it could be a physical problem because their online tests detected nothing and neither did chkdsk or defrag or even a full re format made a difference. Therefore he recommended that I try it in another computer - So i did in my mate's laptop except this time through Firewire instead of USB 2.0.

Finally - I thought I had cracked it. It was super fast again and flawlessly playing files for an hour. So I copied over a few gig to it to see if the transfer s were right. They were (for a few miutes) Then they suddenly dropped again and back came the choppy/skippy playback and dead slow transfer rates.

I emailed him again tonight with my findings and I await his reply

I have googled my problem and it seems that there is a worldwide problem with Seagate's external hard drive's not just particularly my 200GB Model

What can I do - Im pulling my hair out - I need advice. Someone Please Help - What Are My Options?

Thanks in Advance

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
well, seagate should take it back, and give you your money back. or at least a replacement drive. if it is a big enough problem, they are responsible, and it does not look like there is a way to fix it.

Daz Gib

Daz Gib

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, They are sending me details on how to return it - Im in Ireland, the postage will probably be huge but once it get's sorted. They will then send out a replacemnet. Thanks for the reply binaryman