Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sfc /scannow

• Please log in to reply

Ronniebebe

Ronniebebe

• Pip
  • 2 posts
When I run this scan sfc /scannow.It comes back saying I have files missing.

The box that appears says:: Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied the the DLL Cache.
Insert your Windows XP Pro. CD2 now..then it comes back saying:: you have inserted the wrong disc.

When I made the recovery disc's I made five (5) disc's. I had the choice of different amounts. The computer was purchased last March.

Heres what I have::
Gateway 830 GM Windows XP Media Center 2005 Edition...
IE Version 6.0
Ciper Strength 128 bit
Update Version SP2
Intell Pent. 4
200 GB Sata HD
1024 MB DDR

I have never tried a repair before...Even though I don't have a XP Pro.Program,I did get the disc to open but all it is is files. On the top is two padlocks and two other items,below are a lot of file boxes.
I have clicked on each one and nothing tells you what to install or how to install.. In fact no mention of installing is even mentioned...

I'm kind of lost here. Does anyone know what I should be doing. I'm to a point where I'm ready to just reformat the entire system. I have tried numerous restores and they don't take care of this problem neither. Any help would be appreciated..... Ron... :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Your recovery CDs are not windows cds...scannow is looking specifically for a Windows CD.

Now, what you should do depends on what trouble you are trying to resolve. Generally speaking, you should follow the instructions from your manufacturer.

That new of a machien probably allows you to recover your system with a non-destructive reinstall of windows, but I cannot speak to that system specifically since it differes not only from Maker to maker, but from model to model