Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

using dual monitors

• Please log in to reply

dlw

dlw

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Installed a sceond monitor.
Second monitor has same background as first..
No icon, progams or anything else.

I have a Nvidia GForce 5200 graphics card that has a plugin for a second monitor.
Both monitors are listed in 'Device Manager' as working properly.

I would like to run different progams on each monitor.
Multiple desktops on the main monitor would be nice also.

Do I need additional software?

Don

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well..what it sounds like you have going on is the whole "span my desktop to monitor 2" deal..in wich case..if you upen up a program..and drag it off the edge of the monitor..it will show up on the other monitor....there are ways of getting dual desktops (i.e. a seperate desktop for each monitor) but you'll need to consult the manual for that one

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
go to nvidia's nview settings. theres options there to have multiple desktops for each display. theres more options that one can comprehend. theres also options to put additional buttons on every window next to the "minimize, maximize, close" buttons, that will allow you to span one window across both, across one, or across the other. you can also right click windows, and "send to display", or "send to monitor". no additional software is needed besides the nvidia forceware, which it looks like you have it installed already by what you described to us.