Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

X2 3800 VS Opteron 165

• Please log in to reply

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Hi

Can u guys help me choose between these two CPUs. The 3800 is $19 cheaper for me. And which one creates less heat and has more room for overclocking. The opteron has 1mb more cache but the 3800 has a higher stock speed. And which one performs better in games?

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
i would go with the x2 if you are gaming, the operton if you are running a high end workstation or dual "ops" if you are running a server.

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
should i get a cpu fan or just use the stock one??

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
the stock one would be the best bet for the following reasons.
1) its the stock fan, its meant to be with that processor
2) it is under waranty, you overheat your processor, they owe you a new one.
3) you are not violating your waranty by using the stock fan. but you would with a different one.

you may want to get a better one cause
1) the stock fan doesnt glow cool colors
2) if you want to overclock, a better fan is good thing to have
3) the stock fans are sometimes loud.

if you do get another fan, keep this in mind.
-air flow
-rpm
-LOUDNESS
-copper or not
-size (will it fit in your case)
-REVIEWS

the most important piece of information when buying a cooler, is not the specs, but the consumer reviews. again, there is nothing wrong with a stock fan, just sometimes the grass is greener on the other side.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
sorry, duplicate.

delete this one.

Edited by Thebinaryman, 07 February 2006 - 09:16 PM.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
gosh, duplicate again!

theres something wrong when you hit refresh, it posts again!

Edited by Thebinaryman, 07 February 2006 - 09:18 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Actually alot of the experienced overclockers are getting the 165 opteron chip with dual core and are being able to overclock it to the new fx60 chips speed. The fx60 is the brand new dual core monster for you people that didnt know this. The fx60 is the $1,100 dollar chip.

If you have experience in overclocking then the opteron 165 would be the best bang for the buck. Yes, do not get the opteron 165 dual core unless you have a well known experience with overclocking. Its not meant for new comers or the less experienced to try. Id say If you had atleast a good year of overclocking experience then the opteron 165 would be the best bet. If you dont have any experience at all DO NOT get the chip. Get the amd 3800+ x2 dual core instead. I personally will be getting the opteron 165. I know its operating frequency is 200mhz lower than the amd 3800+ x2 but in reality they are exactly the same speed because they use two different cores.

The 3800+ x2 uses the manchester core as it is a good overall core but the toledo is the better core. The opteron 165 uses the toledo core and I bet you didnt know this but the opteron is the same core as the 4800+ x2 toledo. Basically the same chip. The opteron chip is overall the better chip because it is a server chip and has better silicon in the chip and is made to be running 24/7 because it is a server chip of course. The opteron 165 plays games very well but there isnt many benchmarks of it out there but if you google it you can find some benchmarks of pcmark and 3dmark. The opteron scores high on those tests.

The opteron 165 you can say is the same speed as the amd 3800+ dual core x2. They are comparable to each other. The thing is, the opteron 165 can be overclocked heavily like I said and will leave the 3800+ in the dust on an experienced overclocker. I will be overclocking the opteron 165 to atleast 2.6ghz on each core when I get it. Some people have gotten over 50% overclocking power on the opteron 165. I know some have gotten over 53% overclocking.

Not all opterons can be pushed to 2.6 ghz or greater but you can get it to atleast 2.4ghz very easy...

In the end you will be getting a chip the speed of an amd fx60 which is 2.6ghz stock but for the price of the opteron 165 chip. You end up saving over $750 and with the speed of the big boy fx60. :tazz:

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
I am not an experienced overclocker. Even if i overclock i don't plan to push it to the max. But then again i can always get help from you guys with overclocking and i don't have to overclock it right away when i get it. I can start later in a couple of months, after i read more about overclocking. So for $19 more i think its worth buying the opteron 165 since you get a better core (tolbedo) and double cache. And also you (jrm20) said at stock speed they have about the same performance.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I am not an experienced overclocker. Even if i overclock i don't plan to push it to the max. But then again i can always get help from you guys with overclocking and i don't have to overclock it right away when i get it. I can start later in a couple of months, after i read more about overclocking. So for $19 more i think its worth buying the opteron 165 since you get a better core (tolbedo) and double cache. And also you (jrm20) said at stock speed they have about the same performance.

Ya the Toledo chip is the better chip of the two between manchester and toledo. You can give it 200 more mhz right away with no problems at all. Like I said I would only get it if you were serious about the overclocking and have experience. You would want to overclock it right away to atleast 200 more mhz. Any stock cooler will handle that and you dont have to tweak anything for such a little overclock.

Up to you on which one you choose, they are both good processors the 165 opteron and the amd 3800+ x2.

I would do what I said if you were tempted to get the opteron. Just push it to 2.0ghz right when you get it and I know for shure that it will be faster than the 3800+ no doubt. 200mhz is nothing like I said but its really easy to do that low of an overclock. All you would have to do is raise your fsb up just alittle until you reached 2.0ghz or a hair more.

When you get more experienced you could raise it up 400 mhz and see what happens. Think of it this way, when the processor starts to get slow all you have to do is overclock it and you will have quite abit of headroom to work with. To get the fx60 speeds on the opteron 165 you have to be experienced and know what your doing for shure and have really good cooling.

Its up to you which cpu you get but all im going to say is dont try and up it to 2.6ghz right when you get it because its not going to happen. Its not easy going up that much, and you have to worry about heat issues alot.

If you get the opteron 165 I suggest leaving it alone for awhile and when you get some courage try the 200mhz overclock.

We are not responsible if you mess your cpu up.. lol

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah you are as well with the opteron, its larger cache makes it worth it, as usually the increase in cache will boost its speed rating so the stock opteron would be rated above the 3800+ if they give it the intel equivalency rating of the athlons(would be 3900+ or 4000+ i would imagine.)

Advertisements

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
THNX guys for advice.

"We are not responsible if you mess your cpu up.. lol"

LOL

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
i had the same delima- whether to get the x2 3800 or the opteron 165 and i got the opteron 165 with the dfi lan party ultra - d and overclocked it realizing it would get to the fx-60 speeds and give me very nice preformance

Im sitting with it here right now and its a great buy- dont let overclocking scare you- do your homework on it and you should be fine

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Ya i am not really scared of overclocking but its $56 more than a X2 3800. Their prices are goin up everyday and i dnt think i can afford that. But is it reallllly worth it for 56 dolars more?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Do you live in the usa? If so let me know, it shouldn't cost much over the 3800+ x2.

I dont know where you live but at monarchcomputer.com the opteron 165 (OEM) version is only $40 more than the 3800+x2. The retail box with fan opteron 165 is actually cheaper from monarch its only $328 and $35 more than the 3800+ x2 would be..

Edited by jrm20, 11 February 2006 - 10:08 PM.

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
I live in Canada. There is 2 local computer stores. 1 selling it for $388, the other sellin for $425. The first one i checked with and they didnt have one at stock and they said its really hard to get it. The second store i didn't check if they had it in stock but its too expensive at 425. If they cant get the 165 then ill try the 144 or 146. After that ill get the 3800 if no other option. Tigerdirect is sell the 165 for $472. Thats weird because someone like them should be lower prices than local pc stores.