Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Setting Up a Network right ...

• Please log in to reply

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I have just purchased a Linksys wirless G SpeedBooster for the house. I want to have multiple computers running on the network.

The question i have is how can i setup a computer to be the homebase of the network? I want a computer to have a firewall, then transmite the signal to all. Is this possible ? Because i really don't want to have to get a firewall for each computer logging on to the network.

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
if i were you i would not use software firewalls. your router usually has a built in hardware firewall (usually eliminating the need for one) but you will have to check on that. i would get a hardware firewall box if your router doesnt have one, and plug that in before the router, or just use a cheap hub after the firewall. (but firewalls can be expensive). another option is to set up a computer with 2 network interface cards, and run an os like ipcop on there, that can be a cheap (but very well armed) firewall, then plug your router into the second nic.

ex:

internet----|ipcop|---|router|---|computers

or:

internet----|firewall|---|router|---|computers

or:

internet----|router|---|computers

well, you get the point, in my opinion, dont use software firewalls, they are anoying to control, and arent as affective.

Edited by Thebinaryman, 07 February 2006 - 08:59 PM.

rivekm

rivekm

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Mr. Chow,

I have just purchased a Linksys wirless G SpeedBooster for the house. I want to have multiple computers running on the network.

The question i have is how can i setup a computer to be the homebase of the network? I want a computer to have a firewall, then transmite the signal to all. Is this possible ? Because i really don't want to have to get a firewall for each computer logging on to the network.

I am assuming you have the wrt54gs? router, yes that has a firewall..all linksys routers have a built in firewall. yes you can set this up on whatever computer you want and connect it to your modem. follow the instructions that came with the router, linksys provides pretty simple instructions to follow. Also with your router i believe you got a disk that will automatically secure your adapters? Make certain to do this.
Hardwire the router to your computer, type 192.168.1.1 into internet explorer after you have followed software driver install.
this will pop up a window asking for a password- the initial p/w is admin all lower case. This is the first thing you want to change is the default p/w linksys uses. Then you want to set your wep/wpa security. Then change the default SSID from linksys to what ever you wish to call your setup. once that first computer is setup your ready to setup the others. In the lower right corner of the computer by the clock you will see the wireless computer icon, right click on this and choose view available networks and you should now see the name of your SSID, select it and choose connect and if security is and should be enabled you should see a lock on it, and you will be prompted to enter a password and you will enter your password and it should connect to internet.
If you want to allow all computers to network and share, you must run the network setup wizard on all computers and enable file and print share.
I have a linksys wrt54g wireless router and 5 computers, a few laptops that periodically connect on the network and I still prefer to use a software firewall on all computers as a matter of fact I run Norton Internet Security on all. I just prefer to do that. Hope this helps
:tazz:

Edited by rivekm, 08 February 2006 - 04:29 PM.